hosting and Advertising your mods at my site?

Here non-phpBB topics can be discussed.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

good idea or not?

retard
100%
smart guy
No votes
pff who do you think you are, hmmm.. alright then :)
No votes

Total votes: 3

bbrian017

hosting and Advertising your mods at my site?

Postby bbrian017 » 13 Apr 2007, 21:26

I was wonder if I could host and support your mods at my site. I know I have nothing to do with the development and your site will get 100% recognition for everything. I would just like to start doing it and of course would need your approval. So if there are any developers that are cool with this please post a reply. If this is “even kinda” okay with you please explain why it “kinda sin’t”

phpbb 3.0.x only including beta
Last edited by bbrian017 on 15 Apr 2007, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
| | |

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby igorw » 13 Apr 2007, 21:52

Hmmm, well as it's GPL you can distribute the MODs freely anyway. I'm not going to support my MODs anywhere else than where i post them myself. And if you want to support my MODs, i'd be happier if you did it here (because then i can make sure you don't give out wrong info :D (kidding)).

- we're poor!

bbrian017

Postby bbrian017 » 13 Apr 2007, 23:03

Maybe what I can do is have a "showcase" of your mods at my site. Posting like you would normally post when introducing a "new" mod. I can attempt to make it informational with screenshots and provide links to your site for the main Mod support.

Would you like me to send them this way for the actual download too? Like this? http://www.yoursourceforinfo.com/forums ... ?f=46&t=63
| | |

Noobarmy
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Noobarmy » 14 Apr 2007, 04:37

well imo you can do what you want with the mod, personally as with igor i won't give support as is stated in pretty much all of my mods that i only support mods here and at phpbb. generally though i wouldn't want to be associated or affiliated with the site so if u screw up its ur fault :P but you can distribute it i don't have a problem with it.

bbrian017

Postby bbrian017 » 14 Apr 2007, 17:56

Well that sounds more than fair. I guess I will just offer the download and send them your way for the support. I already got 2 of your mods at my site so we’ll see how it goes. Plus the support idea was pretty silly overall; it's like stealing your business in a way. So I'll say again, I only offer the mod and have no support for it. All support will be sent this way to you. Cheers
| | |

drathbun

Postby drathbun » 14 Apr 2007, 18:53

To be honest, many MOD authors don't want even that to happen. When I release MODs, I release them on my own site and phpbb.com only. That way I know exactly where I have to go in order to post updated code. If other folks start distributing my MODs (and then sending them to me for support) that doesn't help me at all. In fact, it only adds to the confusion.

In my opinion, if you really want to help, you would post topics with links back to the download source, either on phpbb.com, or (at evil<3's option) here. That way when the MOD author updates their code here, you don't have to do anything as your link should still be valid.

When a bug is found... especially a security related one... I don't want to have to be responsible for trawling all over the web to find out where folks have offered by MODs for downloading.

Just my two cents.

bbrian017

Postby bbrian017 » 20 Apr 2007, 14:49

ok, I won't host the mods at my site due to update reasons. Overall this doesn't seem like something this site wants so I'm just not going to host or advertise. It seems this is everyones opinion. Thanks for the consideration tho :P
| | |

Saeru
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Saeru » 20 Apr 2007, 16:53

Yeah hosting the mods right on your site, you may end up with an older version of the mod and if someone downloads that and runs into issues, it could be a nightmare.

"Naku ga yousuru ichidanto tsuyosa kyaku ga icchuu wo yusuru."[/size]

bbrian017

Postby bbrian017 » 20 Apr 2007, 19:55

I agree and it was good thinking, overall I'm just going to promote the site with a link...
| | |

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 21 Apr 2007, 14:32

- we're poor!

bbrian017

Postby bbrian017 » 22 Apr 2007, 01:00

np, it's the least I can do..
| | |

Return to “General Discussion”