What made you start your first forum?

Here non-phpBB topics can be discussed.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What made you start your first forum?

Postby igorw » 03 Sep 2006, 23:07

Why did you start your first forum, and how did it go?

I personally had the idea to make a little private forum for my friends, so they have a possibility to chat and organize meetings.

At that point i had no idea how to set up anything. I only knew how to USE a forum, i understood BBCodes. That helped me a lot to understand how HTML formating works.

I learnt how to set up MySQL databases, and use them myself. I always kept messing the forums up, and as i didn't have direct database access, i always had to ask for them to be cleaned.

It was a shock, when i found out about phpmyadmin, and all the trouble i could have saved. So i installed it on the webserver.

Well then i started experimenting with installing MODs. It destroyed my forum, because i was using EasyMod. Some time later i gave it another try, by doing the file edits manually.

And i also customized subSilver a little. The forum was fully functional with a few MODs. But after a while i installed some bad MOD, and the forums were broken again.

About at that time i found out, that i could set the phpmyadmin configuration to "cookie". Much better than automatically connect :o . Yep, i didn't have any password for it!

I guess that was one of my biggest mistakes, but luckily nobody found out.

After installing the forum new a few times for differen't reasons, i had the perfect forum :D. But it gave me all the experience, that made me get this far.

What's your story?

- we're poor!

Saeru
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Saeru » 04 Sep 2006, 00:14

I started mine via request from users who always visited my old site. So It's just something I have always had.

"Naku ga yousuru ichidanto tsuyosa kyaku ga icchuu wo yusuru."[/size]

drathbun

Postby drathbun » 04 Sep 2006, 01:32

I was an active member of a LISTSERV mailing list that was being deactivated. We had over 3,000 members of the mailing list, of which probably 1/3 were active, and 1/100th were fanatics like me. :-D We didn't want the list to just die, so I set up a forum.

Four years and 250,000+ posts later we're still going strong. I have advertisers and Google Adsense, and that one board is paying for my entire hosting bill, which allows me to have other boards / websites essentially hosted for free. We have doubled in size every year, 2K users after the first year, 4K after the second, 8K after the third, and 18K+ after the fourth. So rather than tapering off, the board growth is actually accellerating. Which is nice. :-)

skyagh
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby skyagh » 09 Sep 2006, 12:03

I start mine because of Counter-strike.

Well, it is a long story. I started to play Counter-Strike for a community that I joined. They use a forum to manage everything such as news, member lounge all these.

So from there on, I felt that forum is quite fun and then I started my first forum at a free host on my favourite football club, Arsenal !.

dojo

Postby dojo » 28 Nov 2006, 16:45

My first forum was to accompany my first site, http://www.dojo.ro

That was a site I started for the Karate practitioners in my country. I learnt design working on that. Then I installed phpBB (after being hosted on free host forums) and I loved the script ever since then.

2 years ago I started the huge site creation frenzy. I opened new ones every 2 months (I have now 15 or more sites and 10 are forums).
- articles, tutorials, free themes and graphics for forums

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 28 Nov 2006, 20:08

Dojo, you're just unstoppable! You create so much content, it's unbelievable :D And i bet managing all of them is a nightmare sometimes! I've had some problems with just one community in the past... (many members will know what i mean)

- we're poor!

posix

Postby posix » 28 Nov 2006, 23:16

i'm around a certain kind of gaming community and scene. it's for 2d fighters like street fighter and king of fighters (some of you may know). very old-school and mostly arcade. we love it.
very popular is the making of combo videos. i am also a video editor for these kind of things.
so after a while, i got in contact with a hell lot of people who have a say in the scene. and it's quite big because these games are popular all over the world, yet mostly in pakistan, northern africa, china, taiwan, japan and south america.
by now i have made a lot of contacts and always get new videos before their official release on their dedicated sites.
more and more people have come to ask me for links and new releases, so i decided to make me a blog to hint people at new stuff.
right now i found someone to pay expensive http hosting for all releases and have decided to turn it v3 of my blog into a phpbb portal. also due to the frequent forum requests.

that's how i came here :)

and you guys and the wonderful mods you have done really make my noob-admin life a hell lot easier and more fun. thanks a lot! :)

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 29 Nov 2006, 12:10

Very nice story! How about a link? :)

- we're poor!

Return to “General Discussion”