Intermittent SQL errors - Too many connections [1040]

Here non-phpBB topics can be discussed.
ShadowmanUK
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Intermittent SQL errors - Too many connections [1040]

Postby ShadowmanUK » 03 Mar 2010, 17:04

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Intermittent SQL errors - Too many connections [1040]

Postby RMcGirr83 » 03 Mar 2010, 18:14

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 03 Mar 2010, 18:24

* Are you on a shared host - Yes

* Are you using the MX record check/blacklist in the ACP - I've not changed the defaults but on checking the settings in Security it is set to Check e-mail domain for valid MX record: = Yes

* What type of search mechanism do you have active - Again the defaults Full text native with Enable fulltext updating set to Yes

Thanks

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 03 Mar 2010, 18:33

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 03 Mar 2010, 19:46

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 07 Mar 2010, 20:33

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 07 Mar 2010, 22:54

Option 2 (nothing special via phpmyadmin) or use mysqldumper (google for it).

FWIW, I don't think you need a dedicated server, a VPS should do.

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 08 Mar 2010, 08:29

Cheers

Yeah I need to have a think really. Pro's and Con's for both. The dedicated one I'm looking at costs a bit more than a VPS but its simplified so a lot of it is on-rails and nice user interfaces and they take care of all security updates etc etc which I like.

You can get root access if you want but then your own your own.

The VPS option is slightly cheaper but a lot more flexible, root access and everything that comes with it, but I'd have to keep on top of my own updates etc... so.

It needs more thought but the forum side of it sounds easy enough to migrate thanks for that. :thumbup:

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 19 Mar 2010, 19:21

So, how's it going? Any update?

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 20 Mar 2010, 12:48

I started logging each time it happens and sent that in to support on the 17th as it was happening all the time that day, they acknowledged the fault and said they were looking at it. Its only happened once since. I will chase them again in a few days and keep monitoring. Fingers crossed.

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 06 Apr 2010, 19:39

Well I've not seen the errors for a while but the forum is pretty slow sometimes so I'm looking into an VPS further. Could I ask you another question?

According to my forum Board Stat's I'm using:- MySQL(i) 5.0.68-percona-3-log

What do I need to look out for when I get a new VPS, does the version of MySQL have to be the same or higher for it to work? Also it looks like I'm using MySQLi does that matter, will a backup and a restore using phpMyadmin just "sort that out" for me, I don't have to worry about that side of things?

Sorry to ask, I'm getting more confident with the forum side of things but I'm weak on the database side

TIA

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 07 Apr 2010, 10:11

I've checked with the VPS people I'm looking to go with and asked about the MySQL version that comes pre-installed and they have stated they use this:-

mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.22, for pc-linux-gnu (i486) using readline 5.1

Do you forsee any problems with backing up the old via phpAdmin and restoring to the new based on those versions?

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 07 Apr 2010, 10:44

No I don't see that you would have any problems. A Mysqli database is very similar to MySql. MySQLi supports some things that the old MySQL extension doesn't. Things like prepared statements, multiple statements, and transactions off the top of my head.

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 07 Apr 2010, 10:50

Thanks its good to have a bit of reassurance, I mean the main reason for going to VPS would be to improve the forum speed etc, and if I found I couldn't port it easy or had to start again from scratch (losing all posts & users) it would be a bit of nightmare really.

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 07 Apr 2010, 10:56

You should be fine and if you get stuck just holler. :)

Return to “General Discussion”