IP Change

Here non-phpBB topics can be discussed.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PeanuT

IP Change

Postby PeanuT » 14 Oct 2011, 22:10

well i am on sky broadband and have an ip that is always changing i was just wondering if there was any other way of stoping this happing other than ringing my ISP up
Website Founder of
Finger, My Arse! LoL Love The Royle Family

martin123456
Old member
Old member

Re: IP Change

Postby martin123456 » 14 Oct 2011, 22:48

why would you want a static ip for ?? if its for hosting use a client tool from no-ip or dyndns plus most uk routor's have dyndns built in

djs596
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: IP Change

Postby djs596 » 18 Oct 2011, 22:42

It changes because it's assigned from a pool of IPs. ISPs do this because it requires fewer IPs as not all customers are connected at once. They normally charge more for static IPs however when I searched I couldn't find any information about Sky static IPs so I presume they don't offer them. When everything moves over to IPv6 you're pretty much guaranteed to have a static IP though.

The only reason I can think of that you'd even need a static for is some kind of server? In which case I'd also be careful as this is likely disallowed by the ToS.

If you do need something on your home network reachable via a domain name but with a dynamic IP, try something like http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_d ... c_dns.html as mentioned above.

Return to “General Discussion”