phpBB Project

Post your MODs, receive and provide feedback!
Topics in this forum are not for MOD support, they are for giving the author feedback.
Forum rules
The topics in this forum are not for general MOD support, they are for giving the MOD author some feedback, ideas and bug reports.

phpBB Project

Postby Lord Le Brand » 02 Jun 2008, 12:18

MOD Title: phpBB Project (MOD Management)
MOD Description: Management app for phpBB MODs
MOD Version: N/A
phpBB Version: 3.0.x

MOD Format: N/A

MOD Download: N/A*

Demo: N/A

Credits: Afterlife(69) for his awesome help with the first development line, eviL<3 for his very much appreciated contributions, and everybody else for their help.

Features:
Show / Hide | Select all
  • View Modifications
    Project provides a simple and clean modifications overview page which will allow the user to find information on the MOD, download it in various different formats and read any documentation.
  • View Categories
    Project allows, for better organizational purposes, categories and sub-categories from which the modifications uploaded can be sorted out into.
  • MOD Search
    For simple ease, an almost fundamental feature the MOD Search. This allows a user to search through all of the MODs uploaded via keywords, author name etc.
  • Documentation
    An easy tool for authors to add documentation with ease to their mods.
  • Download
    A simple and fundamental feature is the download system. Allowing the user to download in various different types and file types.
  • MOD formats
    Supports both MOD and MODX modification formats for both phpBB2 and phpBB3 modifications, and adds a file with the MOD format in BBCode style, for easy inclusion in a forum post
  • Archive formats
    To compensate for the different demands in file type downloads there are numerous archiving formats from which a user can download uploaded mods.
  • Permissions
    phpBB Project provides a wide range of permission settings for your installation.
  • Add MODs
    Allows user-submitted MODs. This means that a greater range of MODs can be collated and organized and relieve the burden for admins.
  • Editing
    For MOD authors, they can edit files and documentation on-the-fly through phpBB Project.
  • Import MODs
    Another useful tool for mod authors is for them to import MODs (i.e. upload pre-existing zip files or mod files) to be transferred into the database.
  • Topic creation
    Admins can designate a forum where topics are automatically created for each mod. The lay-out and amount of information in the topic can be configured. Also adds a post for each update if configured to do so.
  • Statistics
    phpBB Project provides some useful statistical data on the MODs uploaded such as its download count.
  • Bookmarks
    Allows you to have easy-access to all your favourite MODs through bookmarking.
  • Subscriptions
    Allows you to subscribe to your favourite mods and get updates via email on any new updates.
  • Custom trackers
    Allows admins to create different types of trackers that MOD authors can add to their project. The board admin can set statuses for each tracker (e.g. for a bug tracker, statuses could include "Not a bug" and "Fix in progress"). MOD authors can set different categories for their trackers and even set them as private (e.g. for security issues).
  • Diff generation
    phpBB Project provides a built-in diff generator for changes between versions. It also generates an upgrade script on demand, so upgrading will be as easy as (or even easier than) installing, without extra work for the author.
  • Send to phpbb.com's MODs Database
    Another awesome feature is you can send your MOD across to the MOD-DB at phpBB.com for validation. This saves you the effort of having to re-enter all of the modifications data etc.
  • File-only packaging option
    Allows for packages to have only files without a MOD/X file, particularly useful for image sets and such.

* - We have the project on SourceForge SVN:
https://phpbbproject.svn.sourceforge.ne ... pbbproject
For more documentation and support (shhh!), see the appropriate forums
Lord Le Brand
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Re: phpBB Project

Postby Afterlife(69) » 25 Apr 2009, 02:45

Leroy, a thought just occured to me on this.

On the package creation tool (the one that creates the ZIP on the fly with all the MOD directives and attachments). Unless a CAPTCHA or timeout system is implemented we are opening up a possible DOS attack vurlerabilty due to the amount of processing involved in creating the MOD download. I think the best solution to combat this would be a user_id-based timeout script that asks the user to wait atleast 5 seconds between their MOD downloads.

Other then that, how is development for 3.x going? :)
Life in the house :)
Afterlife(69)

Postby Lord Le Brand » 25 Apr 2009, 18:39

Hey Dean,
Good to see you're back on phpBB-grounds :)

It's a good idea to have an x-second request "time-out" (I can't think of the right word, if that's not it). I'm also thinking of caching the whole ZIP file on the server, so it doesn't have to be rebuilt every time it's downloaded.

The development has just recently been restarted, a new redesign is being made at the moment. This time I've made a bit of a planning (according to which, a working beta version will be done in 4 months), in which there are some design steps before actually touching any code, so the whole thing will be done better, quicker and cleaner.
This means the feature list needs updating...

I've also just seen that someone is going to beat me to it if I don't hurry... :?
Lord Le Brand
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Obsidian » 26 Apr 2009, 00:27

As for ZIP archive construction, I'm doing something similar for Xerxes, the "caching", per se..

It's mostly contained within three files.

I don't know if it works yet since it's still in development, but the logic behind the setup is sound. Might want to take a look. ;)

(Also, I think I may borrow the idea for using a CAPTCHA on guest Livepack downloads, I think Afterlife(69) is right about DoS..)
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Afterlife(69) » 26 Apr 2009, 07:33

Ahh competition, excellent. Maybe you guys can get together and share some ideas/code then on the final product just split up and go your different directions to create 2 similar but very different products :)
Life in the house :)
Afterlife(69)

Postby Obsidian » 26 Apr 2009, 17:07

Afterlife(69) wrote:Ahh competition, excellent. Maybe you guys can get together and share some ideas/code then on the final product just split up and go your different directions to create 2 similar but very different products :)

Haha..good one. Personally, I'm designing Xerxes to be for general use, non-specific to phpBB MOD development. However, I wouldn't mind bouncing ideas and code back and forth. :P
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chaoskreator » 14 Jul 2009, 16:55

Once I'm familiar with the code, I can lend a hand where ever you guys might need one.
chaoskreator

Postby Knight Rider Info » Yesterday, 06:52

I apologize for bumping this very old topic, but is there a zip download for this?
Also, any updates?
I'm mainly asking because from the sounds of it, this would make a good downloads MOD for a board I manage for a friend
Questions about Knight Rider? PM me
Need Info about Knight Rider? Visit: Knight Rider Info

Knight Rider Forums?
Right This Way >>>> (Link Updated)
Knight Rider Info

Postby bonelifer » Yesterday, 22:15

Sorry, I don't think it ever got done.
bonelifer
Moderator Team Leader
Moderator Team Leader

Return to MOD Feedback