[BETA] Separate Login and Username 0.0.4

Post your MODs, receive and provide feedback!
Topics in this forum are not for MOD support, they are for giving the author feedback.
Forum rules
The topics in this forum are not for general MOD support, they are for giving the MOD author some feedback, ideas and bug reports.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
xceler8shun
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[BETA] Separate Login and Username 0.0.4

Postby xceler8shun » 13 Aug 2008, 04:36

MOD title: Separate Login And Username
MOD description: Creates a login name that is separate from the forum username. Can be controlled via the ACP / UCP. Saves people forgetting their login name if "allow username changes" permissions are enabled and the users constantly change and forget their username.
MOD version: 0.0.4
phpBB version: 3.0.2

Development stage: Developmental

MOD Format: MOD / MODX

MOD download: attached

Demo: None yet

Credits: None yet

Looking for user to test, report bugs or offer any ideas or suggestions.

Cheers
Shane
Attachments
separate_login_username_0_0_4.zip
(64.9 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Last edited by xceler8shun on 27 Oct 2008, 04:00, edited 3 times in total.

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Separate Login and Username 0.0.3

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 13 Aug 2008, 16:45

How does this work? What if user 1 makes a username this_username, then changes it to that_username, so it keeps this_username for login? Or what? And what if user 2 tries changing his username to this_username. Then, when you try and login, what happens? This is a cool idea, if you made sure to close any problems that could arise in situations like the top one (which may not be an issue, I don't know...haven't tried the MOD).

That's like, I can't beat my neighbor in an argument, so instead I kill his dog.
-Best English Teacher Ever

xceler8shun

Re: Separate Login and Username 0.0.3

Postby xceler8shun » 14 Aug 2008, 00:36

Ok, will try to explain as best I can.

For example,

My loginname: xceler8shun
Username: shane

Your loginname: harmlessgoat22
Username: david

If I try to make my login name harmlessgoat22 I cant, as it performs the same checks as the usual username function., the same if I tried to change my username to david.

If I tried to change my login name to david, I would also be denied as I will receive an error stating that I caanot not use a persons username as a login name

Now if you changed your username from david to davey, I would then be able to to change my username to david or my loginname to david.

It works the same way that I tried to change my username to be harmlessgoat22 goat which is your loginname, I would receive another error saying that I cannot use someones loginname as my username.

House

Re: [DEV] Separate Login and Username 0.0.3

Postby House » 14 Aug 2008, 11:23

Yay! This feature finally made it's way into a MOD for Olympus. :strawkiwi:

Now to look at the code for later. :twisted:

Edit: Whoa. Impressive MOD file. O.o **House walks backwards from installation. XD I'll have to try it later today, if I can. ;)
Women should be obscene and not heard. X)

xceler8shun

Re: [BETA] Separate Login and Username 0.0.3

Postby xceler8shun » 14 Aug 2008, 13:02

Yea I know, the install file shocks a few people.

It takes me 28 minutes to complete all code changes, sql queries, run the install files and clear the cache a few times.

I could probably streamline the install file a little as well.
Last edited by xceler8shun on 27 Oct 2008, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 14 Aug 2008, 14:12

Question: Can you change your own username to your login name? Eg if I want to go by harmlessgoat22 on the board instead of as David, Davey, Dave, John, for instance?

That's like, I can't beat my neighbor in an argument, so instead I kill his dog.

xceler8shun

Postby xceler8shun » 15 Aug 2008, 01:18

Yes, If for instance your login name was harmlessgoat22 and your username was David, you can change your username to be harmlessgoat22 as well.
Last edited by xceler8shun on 27 Oct 2008, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 15 Aug 2008, 01:58

Ok good :P

This sounds really cool! Does it work functionally yet?

xceler8shun

Postby xceler8shun » 15 Aug 2008, 05:51

I believe it is complete, but would like others to test and comment for me and offer suggestions.

I'm just holding off submission for validation until I get some more feedback.
Last edited by xceler8shun on 27 Oct 2008, 04:02, edited 2 times in total.

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 15 Aug 2008, 13:11

- we're poor!

xceler8shun

Postby xceler8shun » 15 Aug 2008, 14:16

Will take you up on that offer eviL<3

This is mod attempt no 3 for me and I learned heaps just getting this far on this one about how phpbb3 operates.

I would assume that many of the language edits could go into their own language file as well to help cut the steps down.

Will look at the links you provided a little later today, it is currently 12.15am and I'm spent!
Last edited by xceler8shun on 27 Oct 2008, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.

xceler8shun

Postby xceler8shun » 16 Sep 2008, 12:31

Last edited by xceler8shun on 27 Oct 2008, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.

xceler8shun

Re: [BETA] Separate Login and Username 0.0.4

Postby xceler8shun » 26 Oct 2008, 11:23

I've updated to version 0.0.4

Borrowed the install script from evil3's troll MOD and moved most language edits into their own language files.

Return to “MOD Feedback”