MOD Diff Renderer (auto generate MOD files)

Tools by the phpBBModders team and Community contributed tools.
Forum rules
Only post tools related to modding in here, simple.
igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

MOD Diff Renderer (auto generate MOD files)

Post by igorw »

Whee :D

I decided to post this in the MOD writers' because it's not really a MOD, but more a tool for MOD authors. I still put [Dev] in the topic because there's no real package yet. You have to use svn to access it. Enough introduction nonsensetalk.

What's a diff renderer?
phpBB includes a modified PEAR diff library, that is used by the automatic updater. This diff lib consists of the "engine", which is the part that takes the files and puts them into an internal diff format. The counterpart are the renderers. These renderers will output the diff in differen't formats. For example unified diff.

And what does the MOD Diff Renderer do?
This tool is basicly a renderer to output the diff as MOD file. It takes an original and a modified phpBB directory, compares the two and automatically generates a MOD file of the changes.

How to get it?
Currently it's only possible to get it via svn. Here is the URL:

Code: Select all

http://svn2.assembla.com/svn/evilmods/3.0/diff_tools/trunk/

Credits
Thanks to Paul who originally came up with this idea but was too slow to get it done.

See also
This topic at phpBB.com
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Re: MOD Diff Renderer (auto generate MOD files)

Post by Obsidian »

NO WAY! Awesome idea, evil!

I will await the completion very eagerly. This is going to be a great help in MOD building. :D

Now, if I could get that EasyData MOD Author tool done (standard DB install script), this would be the perfect tag-team combination. ;)
igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by igorw »

In fact, you can already use it ;). As for standard db actions, take a look at this and this article :).
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Obsidian »

eviL<3 wrote:In fact, you can already use it ;). As for standard db actions, take a look at [url=http://phpbbmodders.net/articles/3.0/create_table/]this[/url] and [url=http://phpbbmodders.net/articles/3.0/dbal/]this[/url] article :).

I know, seen those. ;)

It's just that I'm working on setting up the GUI for the script, and maybe later I've got to make it use the template system. I posted 0.1.3 (non-working code, just my work in progress) over at STG, in the MOD Author's board, in response to ..::Frans::..'s question.
igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by igorw »

You could of course do what blinky does, use phpBB3's installation framework.
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Obsidian »

eviL<3 wrote:You could of course do what blinky does, use phpBB3's installation framework.

:oops:

Why hand't I thought of that earlier... :?

I sense a code rewrite in the very near future...