MPV - the MOD pre-validator.

Discuss the development of future releases of phpBB (phpBB 3.x minor releases) and MODing/Coding related questions.
igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

MPV - the MOD pre-validator.

Post by igorw »

Hi guys,

the MOD team (specifically paul, vic and a_jelly_donut) have been working on a new tool to validate MODs. The great thing about it is, it's written in PHP, which means it can be run on the serverside. It will find common problems by analysing the code. Please pre-validate your MODs before sending the to the MODDB or they will be instadenyed. ;)

The URL is: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/mpv/
blazes816
Supporter
Supporter

Re: MPV - the MOD pre-validator. (please help test)

Post by blazes816 »

We're not all select MOD authors so we can't test it. I for one feel very left out.
User Number 9e071a3a594a8964cbefe784f8a6afaa94c0de17
My MODs: http://github.com/blazes816/MODs
paul
Supporter
Supporter

Post by paul »

blazes816 wrote:We're not all select MOD authors so we can't test it. I for one feel very left out.

Uhh, I believe you dont read the page? You need to send me a PM at phpBB.com, and I will add you as tester :).
Mighty Gorgon

Post by Mighty Gorgon »

PM Sent.

There is something particular you need to be stress tested?
Luca
paul
Supporter
Supporter

Post by paul »

Mighty Gorgon wrote:PM Sent.

There is something particular you need to be stress tested?

Mostly incorrect behaviors, so incorrect things reported, or things not reported.
Mighty Gorgon

Post by Mighty Gorgon »

Thanks Paul.

I did some tests tonight with the only mod I have packed in a decent way. :lol:

Anyway here are my points.

• MPV recognised correctly that I was using MODX 1.0.1 and reported the warn to update to 1.2.0 template.
  • MPV warned that I was casting integer values to a string. It was a WARN message, not a FAIL. I changed the REQUEST VAR and then it worked fine.
  • After having upgraded to MODX 1.2.0 MPV didn't accept HTML tags in AUTHOR NOTES field. I did put BOLD and ITALIC tags just to make notes nicer and more readable. I had to remove them. I don't know if it is possible... but it would be nicer to have at least BOLD in notes or description. Anyway MPV just rejected the content because it wasn't compliant to the type specified for that TAG. I guessed it was the HTML and after removing it, it worked.
  • Finally, after having fixed all the FAIL MESSAGES I resubmitted again and this time MPV didn't like the versioning: why MPV didn't notify me about this in the first submission?
    I left 0.5.2 which is of course not stable (following phpBB guidelines). After having raised to version 1.0.0 MPV accepted the value. I would suggest to link the VERSIONING GUIDELINES: for this purpose this link provided here is not valid anymore [url=http://www.phpbb.com/mods/documentation/appendix/text-template/index.php#text-template-header-version]VERSIONING[/url].
    I could find only the PDF: [url]http://www.phpbb.com/mods/modx/modx-part6.pdf[/url]

That's all for now.
Luca
paul
Supporter
Supporter

Post by paul »

Will fix the first one.

HTML can never be used (Thats someting with XML, nothing todo with MODX in direct. Iam pretty sure its also not showing in the browser?).

The reason it didnt give a warning about the version was probarly because the XML errors (It cant valide, so cant read the XML file), so it wasnt able to get that.
Mighty Gorgon

Post by Mighty Gorgon »

Yes, you are right HTML code isn't shown in browser, I tested also the old MODX template and it wasn't showing it as well.

It is not important having BOLD or ITALIC, it is just cosmetic.

Regarding the VERSION issue you are right, the problem was different: I was notified that the old MAJOR - MINOR - REVISION wasn't accepted anymore, so the version wasn't parsed at all.

Since it is a change respect to the MODX 1.0.1, maybe it is worth mentioning that user has to remove MAJOR - MINOR - REVISION and insert the version without any other child node (both in mod version and history).
Luca
BetaDevil
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BetaDevil »

It's a good thing the MOD Team speeds up testing by letting MOD Authors do it :D
momentum

Post by momentum »

That's a bit harsh. :|

I see this as a tool to make sure MOD authors get their submissions past the first few hurdles and allowing the MOD team members get on with more important things like ensuring there's no security issues for the end user.

Craig.
paul
Supporter
Supporter

Post by paul »

momentum wrote:That's a bit harsh. :|

I see this as a tool to make sure MOD authors get their submissions past the first few hurdles and allowing the MOD team members get on with more important things like ensuring there's no security issues for the end user.

Craig.

What is a bit harsh? we are just testing software, what we will provide in a later stage to all users. Because of current limits we cant provide yet for everyone access/ This will happen when and the scripting has been tested correctly, and we are finding a way to hosting the script. When that will exactly happen iam not sure yet. we need to see.
EY
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EY »

PM sent :D
Never Say Never!
igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by igorw »

It's public for usage now! :)
harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Re: MPV - the MOD pre-validator.

Post by harmlessgoat22 »

I'm confused...what URL do you put in? To the modx file? or to the directory with the MOD? Or a zip?
That's like, I can't beat my neighbor in an argument, so instead I kill his dog.
-Best English Teacher Ever
paul
Supporter
Supporter

Re: MPV - the MOD pre-validator.

Post by paul »

To the zip ;)