Intermittent SQL errors - Too many connections [1040]

Here non-phpBB topics can be discussed.
ShadowmanUK
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Intermittent SQL errors - Too many connections [1040]

Postby ShadowmanUK » 07 Apr 2010, 11:07

Thank you I appreciate it... I'll plan to buy the VPS in a month or two and do some tests using a spare domain first and get familiar with it all and port and test the forum in advance and then once I'm happy switch over for real.

ShadowmanUK
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ShadowmanUK » 08 Apr 2010, 08:16

I spoke too soon. SQL errors were back yesterday and sometimes I couldn't even access the forum it went to my default (sorry that page doesn't exist that I have setup in my .htaccess) not good especially when sign up's are on the increase

After watching the videos demos of how to admin the VPS and all the stuff you can do with it I dreamt of nothing else last night despite having a few Leffe's!

This morning I took the plunge and paid for a VPS.... I should imagine there'll be a lot of tinkering over the next few days :)

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 08 Apr 2010, 11:35

So far so bad :(

I backed up the DB and restored it on the VPS and then FTP'd my phpBB files from my PC (that I'd ftp'd from my current server) it didn't like it, think it was the permissions as it doesn't preserve them.

So... I decided to install phpBB a fresh on the VPS using a dummy database, went through ok then I switched config.php to point my proper database, then FTP'd my files again, deleted the cache and bingo.. all looks well :o :D :D

Its all running on a different domain at the moment so now its testing time I'll ask some of the regulars to give it a battering!

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 09 Apr 2010, 17:13

Quick question Rich.

Does the forum installation directly matter? What I mean is can I install it in one directory and then rename it without it affecting anything.

At the moment my forum is accessed via:- <URL>/forum

When I migrate to the VPS it will end up in the same directory but what is preventing anyone hitting the phpBB install screen before me/whilst I'm installing?

So I was thinking of installing the vanilla forum into a different folder like preinstall or whatever and then renaming to forum when I'm done

Does that make sense? If so will that be a problem?

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 09 Apr 2010, 17:59

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 09 Apr 2010, 18:28

Thanks

I think I've got an even faster way to do this, hear me out. :)

Old domain name stays as it is now.

Create everything in my new VPS, the domain name for my site/database etc but its not active at the moment until I change my DNS. So its all there behind the scenes ready.

But... I create a domain alias to access the new VPS just under a different domain name that's all, so I can get at everything but under an alias, that way I can do my vanilla phpBB install on a vanilla database, upload my real forum files and create another database (the one I want to use for real) and upload my SQL dump as it is now.

So I end up with everything running as it is now on my VPS just under a different domain name for now and a slightly out of date database.

Then everything should already be ready to go, all I need to do then is do a final SQL or phpBB dump, switch DNS, upload the latest database and I'm done.

That sound right? I think it should be as everything is stored in the database anyway so whatever I do before can't matter can it as long as I end up with it correct in the end.

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 09 Apr 2010, 19:06

Sounds like a plan to me.

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 09 Apr 2010, 19:16

The big kid I am I've already done it :)

Everything looks sweet to me so I have everything ready the core forum mirrors what I have now the only difference is its running on an empty db, once I move that over it should be good to go.

I must say I wish I'd done this early, learning tons as well.

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 09 Apr 2010, 19:57

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 10 Apr 2010, 19:08

Thanks I'll take a look at that

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 11 Apr 2010, 19:39

Is it normal for the MySQLdumper backup to be twice as big as the phpAdmin dump? I've looked at both files as they are in a different format so I guess that could explain it

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 11 Apr 2010, 20:24

What do you mean by "a different format"?

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 11 Apr 2010, 21:42

Well if you open up both files in Notepad they are totally different in terms of layout

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 12 Apr 2010, 09:51

When you import the files they end up the same size anyway according to phpAdmin so its all good. Anyway.. migration complete, now running on the VPS and all looks good, thanks ton's for you input! :cool:

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 12 Apr 2010, 10:16

Glad to hear it. :)

I'm sure you have learned a lot about migrating a forum to a new server.

Return to “General Discussion”