A Beta Mod as a Featured Mod?

Found a bug? Miss something? Want to leave a comment about this site?
Then this is the forum to post in.
Forum rules
No phpBB Support in this Forum! If you want support for your forum, go here.
RMcGirr83
Supporter
Supporter

A Beta Mod as a Featured Mod?

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Ermmm, por que?

As in why would you Feature a Beta stage mod?
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Re: A Beta Mod as a Featured Mod?

Post by Obsidian »

If it's a good idea, and is overall a well-made MOD (i.e. usability, features, design, reliability), it qualifies for being a Featured MOD.

The main thing that would disqualify a MOD is if it is closed source, proprietary, or requires payment/registration in order for a user on this board to obtain it.
igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by igorw »

Why not? :P
MasterZ

Post by MasterZ »

RMcGirr83 wrote:As in why would you Feature a Beta stage mod?

The MOD is stable, and only needs some code clean up to be validated. I'll get on that after this semester of school ends.
RMcGirr83
Supporter
Supporter

Post by RMcGirr83 »

eviL<3 wrote:Why not? :P

Ermmm, "mod is considered development quality and as such shouldn't be installed onto a live forum".

:P

I just find it odd, whether there is a precedent or not (Mr. Obsidian), that a BETA mod would be considered as "Featured Mod of the Month". Nothing against the mod nor the author.
igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by igorw »

This is a site for modders, not for administrators.
RMcGirr83
Supporter
Supporter

Post by RMcGirr83 »

eviL<3 wrote:This is a site for modders, not for administrators.

Igor...I mean c'mon!!

So, if I understand you correctly...administrators should ignore all posts/topics within this site?

/me shakes head sadly.

While I respect you and those that run this site, I have a few restraints. None of which I expect will be taken to heart.

• You, or whomever, had a "Featured Mod" being shown on your main page that wasn't available for anyone for 7 months. RSS feeds mod.
  • you now say that this site is "...for modders, not for administrators". So all the mods found on here administrators shouldn't even consider

.. in fact don't consider anything found within this site if you are an administrator?

I'll leave you with that. I begrudge no one their "fifteen minutes of fame" but, at the same time, think it "short sighted" to have a featured mod as anything less than validated/approved by either 1) the admins/deities of this forum who are willing to accept responsibility for it and provide support for a BETA stage mod or 2) phpbb.com itself.

Igor, you of all people should understand and be able to comprehend what I am saying being on the Team at phpbb.com.

It's like you are stating, "Install this mod...we recommend it." How one can recommend a BETA stage mod though is something that I am missing.

Just because it has happened in the past does not mean it is correct. You may have heard the one of numerous disclaimers concerning stock trades. "Past performance may not be indicative of future anticipations."

I'll say it again, and likely get banned for it, BETA stage mods should not, no matter who recommends/features it, be installed onto a live environment. Period...the end. That is if your ("your" == site owner) forum means anything to you.

..and that's my .02 on the subject.

Feel free to ban as needed. :)
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Obsidian »

I'll have a complete reply later for your post, my PSP won't let me type anymore and I don't have computer access this moment.
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Obsidian »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
  • you now say that this site is "...for modders, not for administrators". So all the mods found on here administrators shouldn't even consider

.. in fact don't consider anything found within this site if you are an administrator?

We are not saying that administrators should disregard all MODs on the site. Instead, they should use their own discretion when deciding to install a MOD, just the same as any other site.
Even with the phpBB MODDB, you should still use discretion, as there are several MODs in there that have stability issues. *cough*SEO MOD*cough*

RMcGirr83 wrote:I begrudge no one their "fifteen minutes of fame" but, at the same time, think it "short sighted" to have a featured mod as anything less than validated/approved by either 1) the admins/deities of this forum who are willing to accept responsibility for it and provide support for a BETA stage mod or 2) phpbb.com itself.

I don't see why we should provide support for them, for two reasons mainly...
  1. The phpBB MOD Team does not provide support for MODs that it validates. Either the MOD author or the community (sometimes both) takes care of this.
  2. The modifications forum specifies the following..
    The topics in this forum are not for general MOD support, they are for giving the MOD author some feedback, ideas and bug reports.

RMcGirr83 wrote:It's like you are stating, "Install this mod...we recommend it." How one can recommend a BETA stage mod though is something that I am missing.

Again, we're not saying install it. We're saying that this MOD, for some reason or another, stands out amongst the other MODs in the modifications forum. It caught our eye, be it because it's a good idea, has a lot of potential, it's well made, or it's useful. It is an attempt to get that MOD author some recognition for their work, as they have made something that should receive it.

We are primarily a community for modders, not a community for administrators. If we were, then the selection process for Featured MOD would be very different, as it would then be taken as a recommendation for installation.

RMcGirr83 wrote:I'll say it again, and likely get banned for it, BETA stage mods should not, no matter who recommends/features it, be installed onto a live environment. Period...the end. That is if your ("your" == site owner) forum means anything to you.

Again, not recommending it be installed. ;)

However, personally, I install beta stage MODs, alpha stage MODs, etc. on other sites that I help with, after they go through the same process as any other MOD. I'll dig through the MOD's topic looking for known bugs that are not yet fixed, I'll open the thing up and audit it myself, and then I test it on an offline board and see what it is like. Not many MODs make it past all that, I must say. :lol:

And that's my $0.02 on the subject. :P
igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by igorw »

Rich...

Of course I understand where you are coming from. And I don't see why you would be banned for disagreeing.

To tell you something, I'm not really running this site. This site is not phpBB.com, it's alternative, and it should stay that way. I'm merely sitting in the background and giving some tips.

I think we would be able to discuss this subject to eternity. I doubt this is something any of us want.
RMcGirr83
Supporter
Supporter

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Fair enough guys. :)

Obsidian thanks very much for your very informative and well thought out post.

BTW, the ban statement was for brevity. ;)
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Obsidian »

No problem. I had to rewrite half of it after my PSP wouldn't let me type more, so it grew even more than it already was. :lol: