alphaPORTAL

Post your MODs, receive and provide feedback!
Topics in this forum are not for MOD support, they are for giving the author feedback.
Forum rules
The topics in this forum are not for general MOD support, they are for giving the MOD author some feedback, ideas and bug reports.
harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Re: alphaPORTAL

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 11 Jul 2008, 18:30

Haha it's "modified and edited" that I always get their spellings mixed up...to me, it looks like those should be pronounced "mode-ified" and "e-dited". I guess I'm just insane ;)

That's like, I can't beat my neighbor in an argument, so instead I kill his dog.
-Best English Teacher Ever

posix

Postby posix » 11 Jul 2008, 21:45

harmlessgoat22, i am astonished by this portal mod. my site is currently using ipb and we're seriously considering to switch to phpbb3 using alphaportal. unfortunately we cannot get the database converted to phpbb3 as of now. no matter what, i am hugely interested in this portal. do you think you could post some screens that show how the portal can be managed from inside the acp?
then about the subpages; (they're an awesome addition, btw) can it be done so that they show not a static page but instead an initial post of a topic, also enabling users to reply to it? sorry if this is what Whiskeyjack asked already. i don't know my way around websites tech too well.
ah, another thing, what about skinning possibilities?

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 11 Jul 2008, 23:11

I'm glad you are interested. Obviously, you cannot switch from IPB just yet, but make sure that before you do, you test alphaPORTAL, etc. and make sure it is what you want. I would hate for you to have to switch back because it isn't what you expected.

Second, alphaPORTAL is not yet stable. There are a few bugs still (mostly the ones relating to the Posts Anywhere MOD - Ones I cannot control too well...), but I am working on making my own Posts Anywhere function, adding on to how Handyman already has his MOD. I was thinking of making my own completely, because then I don't have to link him with credits, etc. however, I decided that I liked his ACP module a lot, so I'm going to try and make the frontend work how I want it to.

Please also note that you shouldn't blame Handyman (the author of Posts Anywhere), because these bugs are actually me trying to utilize features not yet implemented ;)

About the subpages, i'm going to explain how they work...
You make a category. That category is now a "page" with no content. You may put categories under it, thus making "subpages", or you can modules, or both. If a page has no modules, only subpages, you are automatically sent to it's first subpage, making it easy to use a page as a category with no content, just pages underneath it.
Now this is all great, but what about what you are asking? So, to answer your question, you can use the Portal module to show any given post in a custom page.

The easiest way to see how alphaPORTAL works would be to install WAMP (for Windows), or MAMP or LAMP (for Mac and Linux), then testing it out. However, if this is out of the question, I'm going to upload a few images...
Attachments
screen3.png
screen3.png (59.02 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
screen2.PNG
screen2.PNG (97.79 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
screen1.png
screen1.png (68.89 KiB) Viewed 3404 times

That's like, I can't beat my neighbor in an argument, so instead I kill his dog.

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 11 Jul 2008, 23:12

Some more...
Attachments
screen5.PNG
screen5.PNG (41.48 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
screen4.png
screen4.png (44.73 KiB) Viewed 3401 times

posix

Postby posix » 12 Jul 2008, 00:49

hey, thanks for the quick answer. looks really really interesting. i really should try this out sometime soon. never used a wamp though, so i guess i'll just put it on a subdomain with a new db.
btw, i've made a logo in your request topic ;)

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 12 Jul 2008, 01:05

posix

Postby posix » 12 Jul 2008, 01:16

okay, i regged there. don't worry, i won't "edit" any files. just try out the functionality you have implemented so far :)
thanks so much for all the support.

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 12 Jul 2008, 02:08

By edits, I mean the edits you must complete to install the MOD. Almost all MOD's for phpBB3 have some editing of core code.

DropBear
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby DropBear » 14 Jul 2008, 04:43

Hi,

Firstly my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but I am assuming this is a bug of some sort.

Secondly, I am a noob at dealing with Mod issues, and am busy building a phpbb 3.2 site that is currently under construction, and I seriously want your portal.

Ok, story so far, all files copied over, all edits completed, began installation page process, all fine until I reached "Create database tables" stage. When I proceeded to next step the following error page was displayed:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Column 'parent_id' cannot be null [1048]

SQL

INSERT INTO phpbb_modules (module_enabled, module_display, module_basename, module_class, parent_id, left_id, right_id, module_langname, module_mode, module_auth) VALUES (1, 1, '', 'acp', NULL, NULL, 9, 'ACP_ALPHA', '', '')

BACKTRACE

FILE: includes/db/mysqli.php
LINE: 143
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: install_alpha/install_install.php
LINE: 839
CALL: dbal_mysqli->sql_query()

FILE: install_alpha/install_install.php
LINE: 77
CALL: install_install->add_modules_admin()

FILE: install_alpha/index.php
LINE: 454
CALL: install_install->main()

FILE: install_alpha/index.php
LINE: 326
CALL: module->load()

I have been looking into the file "install_install.php" to see if I could rectify the problem, however having possibly found the 'culprit' variable on line 830:

'parent_id' => $row['module_id'],

I realised this may go deeper than my shallow php skills will permit. :oops:

I believe that my host is using MySQL 4.0 or thereabouts, but they provide no documentation relevant to version.

Is there a relevant fix to this code, or should I just ask for you to generate the relevant SQL code and run this via phpMyAdmin as a quick fix?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies for being such a PITA :oops:

EDIT: After further examination I found that the problem may be at line 663 of "install_install.php", thus:

'module_id' => array('UINT', NULL, 'auto_increment'),

Any assistance here would be great. Thanks again.

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 14 Jul 2008, 13:43

Wow, thanks for reporting! I just realized a great flaw in Handyman's script he sent me for adding modules inside the .MODs category. If the .MODs category doesn't exist (and I don't think it does in your case) the query won't return any results, causing errors. Thank you very much!!!

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 14 Jul 2008, 13:50

Here is an updated install_alpha/install_install.php file. Manually delete all the tables alphaPORTAL added, then go into the Users table and check if there is a row "user_blogs". If there is, delete it. Then upload the file I have given you, and try installation again. No need to do any of the edits again, just running the install stuff.

Thank you.
Attachments
install_install.zip
(6.45 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

beggers

Postby beggers » 16 Jul 2008, 01:02

I really like the look and features on this portal. Is it safe to try it on a live board? :)

When do you expect a new update? Thanks!

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 16 Jul 2008, 14:37

If you know what features don't work properly quite yet, and are willing to account for them, it should be ok on a live board. That's what alphaPORTAL.net is. But if you are not willing, or don't know what you are doing, it would be best to wait around for a stable release.

DropBear
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby DropBear » 17 Jul 2008, 07:13

Hi David, sorry for the belated reply, and thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry to implement the correction and did so in SQL. I will spare you the details with what happened next suffice to say, I will be more patient in future. :oops:

As it is, I have installed phpbb 3.02 numerous times for testing purposes, and although I have a .MODS category, there is no /adm/mods folder created during the install process.

Naturally this is not your issue to deal with, but I was wondering if you would be incorporating those changes to the install_install.php file in your future releases?

Lastly, I know I'm off topic here, but I had to ask this question. Does your portal support other styles than just prosilver? Reason why I ask is because my organisation has decided upon the X-Treme Green style, ([url]http://www.skin-lab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4[/url]), and was wondering if your portal can support this?

Cheers mate, and sorry for any inconvenience.

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 17 Jul 2008, 15:47

/adm/mods is created when you copy adm/mods/alphaportal_version.php

alphaPORTAL currently only supports prosilver based styles at the moment, but once alphaPORTAL becomes stable, subSilver will be added, of course :P The style you linked to is subSilver based, meaning it is not currently supported by alphaPORTAL. However, subSilver based styles will be supported once alphaPORTAL 2.0 is stable.

Return to “MOD Feedback”