The Significance of Post Counts?

Discuss phpBB 3.0.x in general.
Forum rules
Please post any phpBB 3.1.x related topics in the forum.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Noobarmy
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

The Significance of Post Counts?

Postby Noobarmy » 01 Dec 2006, 21:06

When you join a board how do you see people with high posts? Do you treat people differently ,as such, because of their post counts?

I know personally that when i sign up to boards i usually show a bit more respect to those who have high post counts as well as mods and admins to make sure i don't say anything stupid to them and find myself not liked on the boards :lol:

But does post count have any influence on you?

Also would you ocnsider actually removing it all together because it influences people so much that it actually brings spam upon the boards...one of the boards i moderate had recently removed the post count feature and just continued on a loyalty points system (powered by cash mod) which was a "more accurate" evaluation of how users were on the board.

Wat do you think? :)

posix

Postby posix » 01 Dec 2006, 23:34

i think the post count is important.
it gives info about how long a member has been around the community, and furthermore how active he has been.

i treat them with more respect, yes.

about the spam-risk; i'd say it's the job of mods to get hold and also remove posts and topics if necessary.

drathbun

Postby drathbun » 02 Dec 2006, 01:05

I am quite proud of the biggest board that I founded four years ago, and feel that my post count is reflective of the amount of support and effort that I put into getting it started. To this day I remain the top poster, even though I do not post as much as I used to.

I am proud of my post count at phpbb.com, as most of the posts are in the phpBB Discussion and the various MOD-related forums. My post count has been inflated there this past year since I joined the moderator team, but the bulk of my posts are still - I hope - of value to the community.

I do value folks with a high post count, but I also place weight on how long someone has been a member. The [url=http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=384941]Annual Stars MOD[/url] that I have grew out of a desire to call attention to those folks that have been around a long time, even as lurkers. The other day we had a "3-star" person make their first post. It was quite a celebration. :-) Having annual stars makes it a bit more obvious... you don't have to look at their registration date and do the math yourself. :-P

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby igorw » 03 Dec 2006, 21:34

I personally don't look at post counts very much. I may not believe somebody telling me something with less posts, when somebody with more posts says the opposite. But i don't think that this usually is the case, as i wouldn't even notice.

As for the spam thing, making many quality posts can also happen because people want their post count to increase. So it kinda goes in both ways, as not all people making quality posts don't care about post counts.

- we're poor!

Return to “phpBB 3.0.x "Olympus" discussion”