Shoutbox or Chat recommendations

Discuss phpBB 3.0.x in general.
Forum rules
Please post any phpBB 3.1.x related topics in the forum.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gemigene
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Shoutbox or Chat recommendations

Postby gemigene » 05 Mar 2007, 19:01

Hi,

I would like to add a Chat program or a Shoutbox to my Forum and I'm looking for feedback from users who have one working without a glitch. It's also important for it not to be heavy on server resources and bandwidth because I'm on a shared host. I wanted to install FlashChat but after reading my Host's TOS, IRC type of Chat programs are not allowed and after writing their technical support about this program, they answered that they would allow it and if it affected server load, I would have to remove it meaning that I'd be offering a feature for my users then taking it away.

Tried Paul999's Ajax shoutbox (RC2) but can't get it to display text properly and smilies don't work. I know he's working hard on this project but I don't dare use it on a live board yet.

There's also another one by Kinfule but it's in Alpha stage (not recommended for a live board) and one by Niels which looks good but it seems that he has abandoned his MODS.

There is also another one in the works which is called CoolnessChat whick looks quite promising, has all the bells and whistles you can think of (even Instant Messaging) but not ready for release yet.

Also tried some of those free remotedly hosted shoutboxes (Yellbox, etc.) and even though most integrate well with phpbb (by tinserting the HTML code in a forum), don't really offer much and have advertisements, ask for the user's email and some have hidden links to third-party sites, etc.

So, anyone out there using a good chat or shoutbox?

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Gene
Last edited by gemigene on 07 Mar 2007, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

Saeru
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Saeru » 06 Mar 2007, 04:10

You mean one for your site, not a forum? I have one I made that I use to use on my site. Smilies worked, had a admin area (sort of), uses flat files to store the data as well. Worked rather well.

"Naku ga yousuru ichidanto tsuyosa kyaku ga icchuu wo yusuru."[/size]

gemigene

Postby gemigene » 07 Mar 2007, 17:41

Return to “phpBB 3.0.x "Olympus" discussion”