Can my members still use phpBB2 add-ons?

Discuss phpBB 3.0.x in general.
Forum rules
Please post any phpBB 3.1.x related topics in the forum.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Quahappy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Can my members still use phpBB2 add-ons?

Postby Quahappy » 26 Jun 2008, 18:09

Not the best of "subject" description I know but putting it simply, I have quite a few add-ons on my phpBB2 site which some are not available for phpBB3. I won't actually be looking to switch to phpBB3 until around December.

What I need to know is, once I've switched to phpBB3 (all the forums), can my members still be able to (via a link on index page) access my phpBB2 add-ons (like Hangman, Chat, Arcade) on a temp basis until I get this all sorted?

Many thanks in advance!
If you don't ask....

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Re: Can my members still use phpBB2 add-ons?

Postby igorw » 26 Jun 2008, 18:13

If hangman depends on phpBB2 you will have to keep your phpBB2 installation intact.

- we're poor!

Quahappy

Postby Quahappy » 26 Jun 2008, 18:29

Thanks for the fast response!

I have emailed the developer of Hangman and posted at various forums asking about the possibility of Hangman being converted for phpBB3 but had no response. It is VERY popular with my Members. :)

The other add-ons I have is Arcade / Activity MOD (defender), Flash Chat Room (which I believe does work for phpBB3), A riddle type game where topics (levels) can only be entered via password (which I believe is already a feature of phpBB3?). Other stuff are like external pages but in the style of my Aphrodite template which is currently standard throughout (still no news on whether there is going to be this style for phpBB3 either,...). Also about to install Ultimate Quiz MOD as well. :D

So when I come to installing phpBB3, which would be in a new directory, I only want the forums transferred, so am I right that my existing forum would remain untouched?
If you don't ask....

Semi_Deus
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Semi_Deus » 26 Jun 2008, 18:39

True the only mod that isn't yet available for phpBB3 is the hangman,
There is a AJAX Chat, and Arcade mod and an activity stats mod.
So you should only keep your phpbb2 board intact for hangman.

Keep an eye on us, were back in business..

Quahappy

Postby Quahappy » 26 Jun 2008, 21:44

Thank you!

Least I know what needs to be left behind in phpBB2 now. :D

It would be a real shame if Hangman isn't developed for phpBB3. I'd do it except I only know the basics of php.

One final question which probably warrants a topic in it's own right. When it comes to transferring the forums to phpBB3, the time it'll take to ensure the smooth running and then checking after would take up a lot my time - time I just don't have because of wife and my five children. Where's the best place to go in terms of getting someone to do this for me?

I did have phpBB3 installed so that my administrators and moderators could get to grips with it (when it was in BETA), I've since deleted because I understand that a "clean" install would be required in order to transfer forum from phpBB2...
If you don't ask....

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 26 Jun 2008, 21:55

Converting from phpBB2 to phpBB3 is very easy actually. Just install a new phpBB3 board, go to the install folder and choose "convert". Then convert the board over, do a very quick check over the groups and permissions, maybe the forum titles and descriptions. Finally, create a new search index in the ACP (maintance tab) and you're done. That's really all. :D

But you're better off asking at phpBB.com about conversion questions and support. ;)

- we're poor!

Quahappy

Postby Quahappy » 17 May 2009, 20:49

I covered myself from beginning to end with regards to doing the conversion from phpBB2 to phpBB3. I set up a test forum and did a trial run first. I then went through everything to do with MCP, ACP and UCP, permissions, new forums, etc, etc. Thereafter installed some MOD's (Board3 Portal and a few others) and styles to see how it all works. phpBB3 really is a huge step-up from phpBB2. I can't find any faults with it. Well, one. But I posted about that over at phpBB.com lol.

As for add-ons, getting back on to original subject of this topic, now have Arcade installed. Other add-ons I had within phpBB2 are still in development. Ultimate Quiz MOD (I'm one of the beta testers) is coming along nicely. Hangman - now in very early stages of development. :D
If you don't ask....

Return to “phpBB 3.0.x "Olympus" discussion”