MOD Writing Times

Discuss phpBB 3.0.x in general.
Forum rules
Please post any phpBB 3.1.x related topics in the forum.
Noobarmy
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

MOD Writing Times

Postby Noobarmy » 16 Jul 2006, 20:03

Do you ever give up on MODs because you get bored of the amount of time it takes. I'm often in this situation but come back to them because i really want to finish it.

Also on average how long does it take you to script things?

skyagh
Past Contributor
Past Contributor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby skyagh » 17 Jul 2006, 08:59

It really takes time for your mind to relax. It is same as making a program. Sometimes, I stop a while to have a deep fresh and continue to go on my porject. I felt that your mind is crushing all of the codes that you want to type. Or simply that your mind keep on thinking that what you want to do and you really to complete it. But under constant pressure and time, you will definitely feel bored. Thats the time that your mind needs to have a rest.

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby igorw » 18 Jul 2006, 10:17

Oh, the time it takes really depends on how big the project is. It takes 10 Mins for a really small thing and 1-2 hours for a medium thing.

Anything bigger just depends. Sometimes i just can't be bothered to code anything. Just take a break like skyagh said ;)

- we're poor!

Noobarmy
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Noobarmy » 18 Jul 2006, 11:20

well usually i have to research into how to do things (being a n00b at coding and all) but ill think about those breaks ;)

drathbun

Postby drathbun » 26 Jul 2006, 22:51

Writing a MOD takes time. Getting it through the approval process can take ages. :-) I don't mean that it takes a long time for the MOD Team to respond, it's just that they are very picky (it's their job, afterall). I spent months on a MOD, submitted it, and it got rejected for what I consider inconsequential issues under the name of "security".

I recognize their points... they are all valid, and they have rules to follow. It's just disheartening to go to all that effort thinking you're done and find out that you're not.

evil<3 you know which MOD I'm talking about, I bet. :-)

I have several released MODs but they're all short. Easy to write up and submit. I have tons of non-released MODs in use at various places that are more complicated.

Afterlife(69)

Postby Afterlife(69) » 29 Jul 2006, 16:40

I dont really think it takes much time, However im developing a modular forum from nothing so nothing can really compare to the time that takes!
Life in the house :)

Prince of phpBB
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Prince of phpBB » 20 Aug 2006, 08:46

drathbun I do agree with that but just fot the sake of it you can ask for people who can join up and do that security modification for you (if you've lost heart that is) ..

drathbun

Postby drathbun » 19 Sep 2006, 20:52

poyntesm

Postby poyntesm » 19 Oct 2006, 19:25

My Mods :, ,
My Blog :

ramon fincken

Postby ramon fincken » 06 Nov 2006, 06:44

I never give up. perhaps move it on the 'long time' project.

I have 1 ABD project:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=399836

All coding has been done, it was a block spam project but it was not effective to STOP signups, yet to stop them from beeing active..

Afterlife(69)

Postby Afterlife(69) » 07 Nov 2006, 11:02

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 07 Nov 2006, 11:38

This sounds really awesome, we already spoke about parts of this before. It could use javascript to "add actions". It could be hosted here (but also elsewhere, just an offer :D). Some parts of it are also already done / being developed by Lord le Brand and drathbun (output in multiple formats).

I`d help with development where i can :)

- we're poor!

Afterlife(69)

Postby Afterlife(69) » 07 Nov 2006, 14:19

Yes, I'm trying to get Lord Le Brand to develop this without telling him :P

Saeru
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Saeru » 07 Nov 2006, 22:02

I never give up on mods. If i get tierd of working on it I push it aside and come back to it when I feel ready to tackle it once again.

That is sort of where I am with my sig mod XD

"Naku ga yousuru ichidanto tsuyosa kyaku ga icchuu wo yusuru."[/size]

EY
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EY » 07 Nov 2006, 22:58

I usualy code when i got the time for it. As i run sites and i code for living i don't always have the time for it. And i usualy only give up on mods when i really see i dont got the time for it.
Never Say Never!

Return to “phpBB 3.0.x "Olympus" discussion”