Automatic Updating of phpBB and MODs

Discuss the development of future releases of phpBB (phpBB 3.x minor releases) and MODing/Coding related questions.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
blazes816
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Automatic Updating of phpBB and MODs

Postby blazes816 » 12 Jul 2009, 04:39

Now that blinky is out, I think we should all look towards a future where phpBB and MODs update themselves (after an agreement from an admin).

But how? Anyone have any good ideas on detecting when to update and getting the changes to the server?
User Number 9e071a3a594a8964cbefe784f8a6afaa94c0de17
My MODs:

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Automatic Updating of phpBB and MODs

Postby igorw » 12 Jul 2009, 14:52

If one would want to do this, one would probably use cron.php.

- we're poor!

Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Obsidian » 12 Jul 2009, 17:46

Well, you'd have to be careful on how you coded it. As soon as you change the edits a MOD needs, the automatic update goes out the window. ;)

With something as big as phpBB, updating manually is a big pain when the core is heavily modified. It may be more likely in Ascraeus, when we have plugins, however, as there would be less of a chance that a MOD would alter the core files that would need to be updated.

MasterZ

Postby MasterZ » 13 Jul 2009, 06:28

It is really hard to make any mod type system that does not effect the core at all. I tried my best for a CMS program that I wrote, but it can only do so much before I need to edit files outside the individual mod.
My MODS:
About Me: -

Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Obsidian » 13 Jul 2009, 13:58

MasterZ

Postby MasterZ » 13 Jul 2009, 21:58

I didn't make mine auto update completely, I just have to upload the new file(s) to a mods directory and then in my mod manager hit install/upgrade and it goes to work.

Although having it all done automatically can mess things up big time lol.
My MODS:
About Me: -

Return to “phpBB Development discussion”