General - how are you able to focus on coding for a while?

Discuss the development of future releases of phpBB (phpBB 3.x minor releases) and MODing/Coding related questions.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SuperRoach
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

General - how are you able to focus on coding for a while?

Postby SuperRoach » 23 May 2010, 03:29

Like the topic says I guess. I find that when I'm trying to make a phpbb mod, that because its a hobby, I'm not actively learning the ins and outs of it. This means that I need to recap where I was, and what part I was actually changing. By the time I've done that, I get almost nothing actually done!

What have you done that helps you get more coding done?

Lord Le Brand
Website Team
Website Team

Re: General - how are you able to focus on coding for a whil

Postby Lord Le Brand » 25 May 2010, 18:54

I find it very useful to add bookmarks in my code editor and add todo blocks in comments (I made a habit of using the phpDoc format for this).
It is also a good idea to comment your code a lot, rather too much than too little.

Mr. Bond

Postby Mr. Bond » 28 May 2010, 10:02

Comment everything, and I mean everything. Anything that does anything, comment it so that you will know exactly what it is doing if you need to go back and change it 6 months later. Just simple things like "this checks this and then does this to that" will help you get the feel of the code later on, and it will help anyone new that comes along and sees your code as well.
• •

imkingdavid
Supporter
Supporter

Postby imkingdavid » 29 May 2010, 01:51

phpBB.com Development Team Member | |
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.

Return to “phpBB Development discussion”