ISP Says Mchat caused server disruption - shut me down...?

Support for mods released by phpbbmodders.net found at either https://github.com/phpbbmodders/ or the MODDB at http://www.phpbb.com
Forum rules
Please only request support for mods released by phpbbmodders.net found at either https://github.com/phpbbmodders/ or the MODDB at http://www.phpbb.com
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
HD-FORUMS
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

ISP Says Mchat caused server disruption - shut me down...?

Postby HD-FORUMS » 06 Jan 2014, 22:51

Hi All- Has anyone ever heard of this...? I just installed, and got it running - had 5 people in testing with me and the ISP shut it down as a malicious script. Said it was causing too much server load and shut me down. Is there a setting I am missing or...? Thanks in advance!

martin123456
Old member
Old member

Re: ISP Says Mchat caused server disruption - shut me down..

Postby martin123456 » 07 Jan 2014, 00:47

In short your host is crap find another that allows ajax.

HD-FORUMS

Postby HD-FORUMS » 07 Jan 2014, 01:04

Although I agree - my hosting company is causing me grief lately - I think the plan upgraded could handle it. Right now, on shared hosting, they say too many simultaneous connections... Is there a setting I can use? I know the host allows Ajax, because I use it on other sites I have hosted with them.

Somewhere - I can't seem to help but think there is a setting that would cause less load...

I'm concerned that with just the 5 users I had working to test things that when we open-up, 1000 people on there (which is expected or more) we'll have real issues regardless of host.

Any input is appreciated to tune things down a bit - while I research different hosting.
Any suggested hosting companies that are running mChat sites without issues of this nature?

Thanks!

--Jeff

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 07 Jan 2014, 02:16

HD-FORUMS

Postby HD-FORUMS » 07 Jan 2014, 03:01

Hi there - appreciate the feedback - but yes...

I expect 1000 people to be registered to the site. Don't expect them all to be chatting, and definitely not all at one time.

Yes, the ISP did shut me down: I have no reason to make this up. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying... But I really want this to work. And, I do not believe that we are putting that much strain on the server to deserve to be shut down.

This is the message I received from the host:
"I apologize, but I was forced to suspend the script /home/preus/public_html/forum/ as it was causing a high load on the server, and due to it affecting all of the other accounts on the system, I was forced to take immediate action for the health of the server.

Unfortunately I do not have any specific recommendations for this script, however, in general, adding some sort of caching mechanism, where the script does not need to generate a new page with every request, helps to lower the over load that a script will cause. Likely the original author or support group of the software that you are using will be able to help you to understand how to add something of this nature.

If you reply back to this with your IP address (http://www.hostgator.com/ip.shtml) we will be more than happy to go ahead enable HTTP access for you, so that you can safely work on the script without it causing further issues. Please let us know how you would like to proceed."

Similar message to what had been posted in a few other postings I had seen online.

My questions are:
Is there a way to tune this to take the so-called strain off the server?
Is there a preferred host? If so - I'm signing up tonight. I want to get this running.
What do you suggest? I'm here asking for your expertise, trying to make this work. If I had the answers, I wouldn't be here. =)

Appreciate the help and the time you took in creating this cool add-on for the forums!

Thanks!

--Jeff

HD-FORUMS

Postby HD-FORUMS » 07 Jan 2014, 03:29

I've seen some references to StableHost.com - looking there... Any other suggestions for different host...?
As mentioned before, I'm shopping for something different anyway, and would love to find something that will allow us to use mChat with our phpbb3 forums. When I'm caught in the middle of ISP saying we are using too much for resources and trying to make this run - I'm really just looking for some workable advice as to what would be a good route to go... Different host, different settings. I posted assuming I probably had something set-up wrong. So, just want to make sure I am not misunderstood. Thanks again!

Blackwolf_Oz

Postby Blackwolf_Oz » 07 Jan 2014, 10:35

I use https://www.bluehost.com & have had the chat on my forum for 4 years. No issue & Im on shared hosting too. :)
PhpBB3 Version: 3.1.2

We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 07 Jan 2014, 11:05

An ISP is your internet service provider like comcast, etc. They usually are not also web hosts. That is the difference.

HD-FORUMS

Postby HD-FORUMS » 07 Jan 2014, 14:00

uh yeah - got it. Not sure why that stuck in my head.

Any other help to offer...? Would love to get this working. I'll check a couple of hosts and roll from there.

Thanks!

--Jeff

Return to “Modders MOD support”