what's with copyright in premodded forum

Here non-phpBB topics can be discussed.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kamahl

what's with copyright in premodded forum

Postby Kamahl » 01 Feb 2008, 21:19

i am working on premodded phpbb3 with portal, gallery, chat and a lot of mods and template changes etc. i dont want break copyright. for example portal has copyright, gallery and phpbb3 board too, but i want to add my own copyright. so is it all right if i write into footer that it is premodded phpbb3 by kamahl, using phpbb3portal and in gallery files i add gallery copyright.. is it officialy ok?

Powered by phpBB © 2007 phpBB Group. Premodded phpbb3 by Kamahl, using phpbb3portal...
Last edited by Kamahl on 01 Feb 2008, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
||

RBCP
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: what's with copyright in premoded forum

Postby RBCP » 01 Feb 2008, 21:23

Yes, ofcourse that is alright :) As long as you show phpbb3 copyright, it is ok. you dont necessarily have to show the copyrights of the other mods, but you do have to acknowledge it.

BTW, premoded is spelled premodded :P

Kamahl

Re: what's with copyright in premodded forum

Postby Kamahl » 01 Feb 2008, 22:09

ok, and what about phpbb3 copyright?
||

RBCP

Postby RBCP » 01 Feb 2008, 22:46

phpBB3 Must stay in place. you can modify what it says, but i still has to be there.

Kamahl

Postby Kamahl » 01 Feb 2008, 22:58

omg i am really tired... :\ i wanted to say "phpbb3portal copyright"..
||

RBCP

Postby RBCP » 02 Feb 2008, 00:59

If you need help, look at phpBBModders footer ;) It has the phpBB copyright, phpBBModders copyright, but it doesnt have any copyrights of the mods it has

Required: Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Optional: Premodded phpbb3 by Kamahl
Not needed: using phpbb3portal...

Kamahl

Postby Kamahl » 02 Feb 2008, 09:29

thx a lot, i dont know that i can use whatever and connect together without all copyrights.. :)
||

paul
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby paul » 02 Feb 2008, 11:26

Actually, thats not true. The GPL says that you are not allowed to remove the copyright statements that software add. So you are not allowed to remove the copyright lines of any MODs that you have.
Also I want you to suggest that you inform/ask for permission the MOD authors about using your MODs in your premod. Its not required, but a lot MOD authors would like to know it.

Kamahl

Postby Kamahl » 02 Feb 2008, 11:32

aha, ok, so i ask authors of mods :)
||

RBCP

Postby RBCP » 03 Feb 2008, 00:16

@paul: Well, he did mean on the footer of the forum. He doesnt have to add the copyrights of the mods that he premodded the forum with if the mods didnt add them already. Isnt that right?

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 03 Feb 2008, 08:56

Well,

if a MOD adds a copyright notice somewhere (for example the footer, or also in it's own template file), it may not be removed, as paul stated. This is because the GPL protects the authors work by forcing credit/copyright notices to remain. If you want to remove it in that case, you have to ask the mod author(s), and it would be nice if you'd suggest to them to have like a separate page or at least some sort of document listing their credit, else they are unlikeley to let you remove it.

Another thing: it's a good idea to ask mod authors if they want their mod added. The gpl does not enfoce this, but it's a nice thing to do in my opinion. I've had several premod authors ask me, and i've never really turned one down. What i make clear every time though is that support is their job and that they should give me credit.

- we're poor!

paul
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby paul » 03 Feb 2008, 10:17

RBCP

Postby RBCP » 04 Feb 2008, 13:58

what i meant was custom copyrights. as if the modder didnt provide a copyright to be added, he doesnt have to create one just for that

Return to “General Discussion”