Londonvasion

Here non-phpBB topics can be discussed.
Semi_Deus
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Re: Londonvasion

Postby Semi_Deus » 17 Aug 2008, 22:00

Keep an eye on us, were back in business..

House
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby House » 18 Aug 2008, 05:19

Women should be obscene and not heard. X)

Mr. Bond
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mr. Bond » 18 Aug 2008, 08:48

I watched em all yesterday :D very entertaining, lot's of good information. Nice to see the dev team talk about some plans and stuff like that for phpBB :)
• •

Semi_Deus
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Semi_Deus » 18 Aug 2008, 11:25

Keep an eye on us, were back in business..

Ganon_Master
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Ganon_Master » 18 Aug 2008, 13:34

The presentation gave me some doubts on MODding phpBB in the future. I mean, MODding without being allowed to touch the code? What's the fun? It depends on how they want to implement it, but Meik's argument of "an ideal MOD only adds one line" or something, is confirming my suspicions. I mean, it might be a plus for non-modders, but it would make it a lot less flexible for certain MODs. If they will implement something like this in the end, I might actually create that phpBB3 Fork... :roll:

Haven't seen all the videos yet, but it has been quite interesing so far.

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 18 Aug 2008, 14:16

The possibility for auto-inclusion of language files for example. Like that you don't have to edit a language file and you don't have to add a $user->add_lang() call to the php file. Put your code into functions in separate files and then call them in the core files, this is what meik is talking about. Have a look at his attachment MOD for example.

By having things modular it makes it possible to minimise core edits. I don't like the idea of having it all over-hooked, but it can come in handy.

- we're poor!

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 18 Aug 2008, 14:43

I don't think he means that you can't have edits, and I'm sure many larger MODs will need to edit core code, but the idea of taking alphaPORTAL down from 24 edits to perhaps 12 is greatly appealing to me, and most likely, the people installing it. I'd be happy if I could get a place to put files if I want them included on every page.

Here are three things I think could be reasonably included in later versions of phpBB 3.0.

First of all, a folder to put all language files to be included on every page. Obviously, this is possible, as per the info_acp_ whatever thing. You don't want to include every single language file on every page, too many includes, slows the board down, but a folder to put one thing for each MOD, if needed on every page, would greatly help, instead of editing language/en/common.php.

Second, buttons for New Topic, etc. being completely addable through a SQL query. Currently, I have 4-5 edits I have in alphaPORTAL to add the new button properly.

Thirdly, the viewonline page. I think that all that information could be put into the database, making it easier for MOD authors to add a new page to phpBB3 and have it show in the viewonline page when a user is on it.

Tell me what you think of these options.

That's like, I can't beat my neighbor in an argument, so instead I kill his dog.
-Best English Teacher Ever

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 18 Aug 2008, 15:28

- we're poor!

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 18 Aug 2008, 15:34

??? Then where will they keep info on the size of the image, etc.? Or do you not think that is needed?

That's like, I can't beat my neighbor in an argument, so instead I kill his dog.

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 18 Aug 2008, 15:48

In the cfg, but only if the used size differs from the image size.

- we're poor!

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 18 Aug 2008, 16:09

Then what about the thing in the ACP with the different images, or whatever, for buttons...I mean, personally, I think it's useless anyways, but...

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 18 Aug 2008, 16:10

Excactly. :P

- we're poor!

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 18 Aug 2008, 16:12

Aha! Well, I don't know if dev team is going to like removing it...I mean, they added it, they must have some reason for wanting it there, no matter how, if I may, stupid. :P

harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Postby harmlessgoat22 » 18 Aug 2008, 16:22

Hmm, finished watching Londonvasion videos, or at least the ones that interested me...I skipped 2 or 3. But it was very interesting, and it was nice to see Meik. I'd already seen photos from Londonvasion tho. I'd imagine him being this solemn individual who lived in a dark room with the only light coming from his screen, and that he came out once every few weeks for supplies, then went back in. But he seemed like a pretty nice guy haha.

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 18 Aug 2008, 16:36

Yeah, meik is cool. :D

- we're poor!

Return to “General Discussion”