drathbun

Postby drathbun » 04 Dec 2006, 16:32

HoundoftheB

Postby HoundoftheB » 04 Dec 2006, 23:59

That's why I said mostly :P

poyntesm

Postby poyntesm » 05 Dec 2006, 16:07

Hi all,

I am 27, and I work full time in IT. I used to work for IBM but currently work for HP. Been working fully time since I was 19 and dropped out of college. I got a summer job in IBM and was hired permanently within three weeks!!

I do what is called enterprise systems management. It basically in a nutshell is managing heterogeneous system with a common toolset to allow easy management. I am certified consultant for both Tivoli & Openview which are two of the largest tools in the market place. I also dabble in UNIX admin on HPUX, AIX, Solaris & Tru64. I have some limited experience on AS400's & S/390 as well. I try stay clear of Windows.

I am married and live in Dublin, Ireland with my wife! I drive a turbo charged MR2, which I love and enjoy doing all the work on myself.

So now you know all about me!!
My Mods :, ,
My Blog :

AMailer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby AMailer » 08 Dec 2006, 04:42

Sure split it up :P

As for me who I am in real life? I'm, well I guess, Aaron :P 16 years old - been programming for ugh...a while? I'm a student - and um, yes... love sports :D
>> New - Need a designer?
>> Visit - For all students interested in computer science.

Bee

Postby Bee » 11 Dec 2006, 15:53

I'm Bas, 17 now, and live in the Netherlands (Born in Rotterdam), and going to school. I have final exams in May 2007, and after the summer holiday I'm going to start at the university of Amsterdam (not something specifically with computers).

I work at the local McDonald's in weekends, and sometimes in the evening when needed.

I don't know what else to say.

Vinci

Postby Vinci » 15 Dec 2006, 11:41

okay, here we go:

i'm vinci, 20 from germany - stuttgart (south-germany).

i'm not really into modding (php, mysql)

I like to design online and offline media. Therefore im going to a design-school right now, and gonna graduate this year (hopefully) :)

in my spare-time i do a lot of swimming. in winter, of course, snowboarding almost every weekend :)

thats why i'm working on a project called "jibmag.com" (looking for a coding-partner ;) ) at the moment.

yeah, so far ... for any details feel free to ask

best regards

Vinci

UseLess
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby UseLess » 30 Dec 2006, 16:04

Greetings,

The history...

- Born 1962

- 1982 bought a Sinclair ZX Spectrum and proceeded to type in simple BASIC games from magazines. Almost all of these games did not work, for one reason or another which at the time made no sense at all as I HAD typed it in exactly as shown in the magazine, so being about half way through typing in a 6 page 2 columns per page listing I stopped. I then loaded, from tape, a previously saved game, got the manual and then ran it and got something like (if memory serves) '21 - variable not found' which made no sense to me at all.

So after a study of the back of the manual and a serious look at both the listing for the game and the code I typed I started to change what looked to me like a '1' to 'l' (lowercase L). I then ran it again and changed it a little then ran it again and changed it a little more then ran it again and changed it still more and then finally I ran it and it worked. Well I was from that moment hooked on Programming.

I then started dabbling in Z80 Assembly and doing all sorts of weird and wonderful things with the Spectrum, mainly crashing it... but it was fun and I was learning.

- 1985 I Bought an Amstrad CPC464 with Green Screen Monitor and continued my BASIC programming along with Z80 Machine Code. By about 1989 or there about this machine ended up with;

- a coloured monitor
- a 6128 ROM
- a 64K memory expansion
- 2 3" disc drives
- 2 ROM boards with various roms 2 of them being Maxam and Protext along with a couple of RAM modules I built which would simulate a ROM

I had reached a level where I could take a game from tape and put it on disc and it would work, even the ones with headerless blocks. I even wrote a few programs that would work from ROM just utils but they were handy when it came to increasing my game collection ;)

- 1990 Bought and Amiga 500 and was just blown away by the very impressive graphics and the games my favourite was Swiv and my wife liked it aswell. It was at this point that my son who was at the time about 18 months old and just walking did something I didn't know could be done. He inserted a 3.5" disc into one of the external drive I had upside down, I had to take the drive to bits to get the disc out.

I learnt 68000 machine code which was strange and very different to Z80 but also a lot more powerful and faster. But the custom chips in the Amiga were a pain to program... all those numbers... they used to drive me nuts. Many a spectacular crash was to be had getting one of those numbers destined for a custom chip wrong.

The time with the Amiga was not long lived as I had an interest in Electronics and at the time there were not a lot of electronic related programs available for the Amiga.

- So in 1991 I got a PC. An Amstrad PC 2286 with a whopping 20Mb Hard drive and 1Mb of RAM. It also sounded like a tank when started up. But I started to fiddle with MS-DOS and QBasic along with GW BASIC. I also started learning 286 machine code.

1992 saw the purchase of a 486DX33 it came with a fantasticly big 80Mb Hard Drive and I think 8Mb of RAM a 5.25" disc drive and a 3.5" disc drive. I continued programming and also playing with MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 also tried GEM at one point it was just a shame this never took off.

I used the machine mainly for Electronics related stuff and in 1994 I passed the Amateur Radio Exam which meant I could now use the computer for even more fun stuff.

I learnt to program in Visual Basic 3 which was very weird to say the least. It was the idea of putting a control on a form and just writing the code that dictated what the control did that got me for a while. After all I was used to writing the code that generated the control and what it did... not just the code for what it did. But I finally got it.

I was then, not sure when, introduced to Pascal by a friend and never looked back at VB again, until I got a job programming mainly in VB at which point there was a very steep learning curve going from a back ground of VB 3 to VB 6.

I continued to fiddle with machines until I got a job as a hardware technician for Escom I ended up being the Technical Manager of the local store for 7 weeks as they closed it. A few weeks later they closed all the stores in the country. I then got a job with Byte - The Computer Superstore which was fun, worked with a great bunch of people and even got to go on a couple of courses for Toshiba laptops and AST Computer laptops and desktops.

I got access to the internet in about 1996 or 1997 and then started playing around with web stuff. As I had accumulated a few machines one of them was turned in to a server so that I could develope stuff off line.

In May 2003 I was introduced to a forum by a friend and they were trying to create a template for posting on the forum. I got involved and we got it all working it was at this time I started with PHP and MySQL and phpBB. I learnt PHP by just reading the manual and trying out some of the examples in the manual and changing them etc. I learnt how phpBB worked by looking at the scripts that make up phpBB.

There you have it a condensed load of useless history.
Movie Quote:
It's not the years honey, it's the mileage...

Synaptic Anarchy

Postby Synaptic Anarchy » 30 Dec 2006, 17:56

=o

I don't feel so old anymore! <3

My name is Shaun Tebo. I am...a "goddamned leech" which is to say I do as little as possible myself and lately this simply hasn't been working for me. So yesterday I made my own phpBB style.

I started working with BASIC when I was around 7 or 8 but stopped when I was 14 and only "recently" came to the Internet at 19. I'm now 23 and only a little bit better off than when I started, but lately I've actually been learning and I am now reasonably comfortable with HTML and CSS and have started working on my PHP.

It was phpBB that got me interested in all this in the first place.
synaptic anarchy . unoriginal syn
It'll be ready when it's ready.

User no.104...and no.250...and proud of both!

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 31 Dec 2006, 11:01

Some interresting histories there, what a monster post UseLess! Synaptic Anarchy, let us see your style! :)

- we're poor!

Afterlife(69)

Postby Afterlife(69) » 31 Dec 2006, 12:38

Round 2 at this, writing something that appeals to me.
---
Hello there,

My name is Dean Newman and I was born on the 9th of August, 1989.

I started with website design at around the age of 11 (Yr. 2001) in frontpage then slowly migrated to notepad, but never really got that deep into the scene until around the past 2 years or so (2004-2006), this is when I learned php4, mysql, xhtml, css, javascript, vb6, vb.net, C# and a couple of other useless languages.

I first go into php development with phpBB as I had this little forum that I was oh so proud of when I was 13, but simply couldn't add the features I wanted to, so I slowly learned how everything worked and eventually mastered the system.

In the past 6 months I have been getting really advanced and developing intense web applications using the full capability of php5 for various contact jobs that require such work, I have also been developing a forum software called [url=http://shuttlebb.com]ShuttleBB[/url] in php4 since around march.

I am currently a college student (TAFE NSW, Australia) doing a diploma in I.T/Networking for admission to University of Technology, Sydney. I should have obtained the diploma within 18 months in which case I will apply to a couple of universities just in case I don't get in to UTS.

My plans in the future do not involve website development or programming, but I'm still young and that could change.

I also seem to have become a mentor to alot of new programmers online :|.
Life in the house :)

Synaptic Anarchy

Postby Synaptic Anarchy » 01 Jan 2007, 21:19

Some of which are older than you.

<_<

But we won't name names.

I will finish the icons for and re-upload my style soon. Someone was "kind" enough to completely wipe my FTP last night.
synaptic anarchy . unoriginal syn
It'll be ready when it's ready.

User no.104...and no.250...and proud of both!

Jan

Postby Jan » 14 Jan 2007, 13:11

I'm Jan Marques
I live in world's most beautiful city, Antwerp (Belgium)
My hobby's next to phpBB are tennis, and (hmm, can't find anything :P)

I also do some webdevelopment and contribute for Joomla!
Kind Regards,
Jan

cherokee red

Postby cherokee red » 18 Jan 2007, 22:56

Hey all i'm Kenny. I'm 22
Born, raised and live in Scotland (not as good as people make it out to be btw).
My main love is music - started playing the guitar when I was 8, wrote my 1st song at 13 and now have my own domian, site & myspace deicated to my music (also went to college for 3 years to get an HND in music performance & promotion).

My second love is all thing tech - computers, gadgets, internets, whatever.
My dad taught me the basics and I took it on from there - i'm now repairing family/friend machines and have been adopted as the office 'tech' as I know more than our whole IT dept put together :\

Started getting into web design/coding about 16 when my dad told me about html/javascript. Said I should build a site for my music - so I did.
Learned HTML, CSS and PHP on my own (though i've still a fair way to go).
Went to college for a year and did a course on C++ with a little bit on SQL an ASP.
I found phpBB in March 2004 after looking for a forum of my own and have loved ever second of being part of it since then :)

*edit* I also have a little lovin' left for making stupid videos - as can be seen from the link in my sig :love:
// //
Going to be in Glasgow feb 26th 2009?

Rukkia

Postby Rukkia » 20 Jan 2007, 08:36

Me it is Rukkia (my first name is Damien).
I live in France (what explains why I speak English badly lol)

I am glad to be parmis you.
So long on this forum ^^

Return to “General Discussion”