Runing your Own Server

Here non-phpBB topics can be discussed.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JakeTFG
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Runing your Own Server

Postby JakeTFG » 10 Oct 2006, 21:27

Ok so besides the inital cost to buy the server, how much does it cost per month to run?

drathbun

Postby drathbun » 10 Oct 2006, 22:36

Are you talking about colocating a server?

I looked into doing that, and it was cheaper and more reliable for me in the long run to simply pay for hosting. I pay about $200 a month for my current dual CPU system. It would have cost me several thousand dollars to buy the system, and the colocating costs were about $120 a month for the same bandwidth. It would take many years of owning the system in order to break even.

Plus, if you own the hardware and it breaks, your server is down until you fix it. With my case, if a drive fails or something like that, I get to call and yell at someone else until it's fixed. That's worth a lot of money to me right there. 8-)

JakeTFG

Postby JakeTFG » 11 Oct 2006, 00:23

Ah thanks for the input. I dont have that much money yet though. Looks like I need to come up with some good advertising ideas.

drathbun

Postby drathbun » 11 Oct 2006, 00:38

Well, that was just the quote I got from one company, you can do more research and see what you find out. :-)

Return to “General Discussion”