phpBB auto backup?

Here non-phpBB topics can be discussed.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ShadowmanUK
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

phpBB auto backup?

Postby ShadowmanUK » 11 Apr 2010, 17:24

It seems strange that there's no option to schedule backup's in phpBB so they occur every x days at a certain time. Does anyone know of any mods to do this that are secure and work on the latest version of phpBB?

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Re: phpBB auto backup?

Postby RMcGirr83 » 11 Apr 2010, 20:12

phpBB's backup relies on not timing out. If you have a large database, the script will probably time out (as set on the server).

There are several backup scripts out there that get around this. One of those being [url=http://www.mysqldumper.net/]MySQLDumper[/url] will allow you to set a cron job on your server to run at certain times of the day to automatically backup your database.

I happen to have two custom scripts. One of which will backup your database and the other which will backup your web site files.

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 11 Apr 2010, 21:47

Thanks, I need to look more into the features of MySQLDumper, what concerned me when I tried it was once you'd entered your db username/password it was in there all the time and I guess anyone could browse to the index.php and backup/restore. But I probably didn't spend enough time looking at it, it can't be that in-secure surely. I'll have a play around

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 12 Apr 2010, 02:16

It asks you to secure the directory (uses htaccess on it).

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 12 Apr 2010, 09:48

I'm used to .htaccess as I've used some of its functions before but its not working out for me on this, must be something to do with the setup of the new server, no problem though as I can password protect directories which gives the same sort of protection and seems to work fine.

ShadowmanUK

Postby ShadowmanUK » 13 Apr 2010, 21:48

Return to “General Discussion”