Hi I am ©®@©

Welcome -- introduce yourself!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
©®@©
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hi I am ©®@©

Postby ©®@© » 03 Apr 2010, 22:43

I have just joined.

Why am I here? I need a feature for my site and have been pushing/waiting for 18 months and not getting anywhere so decided I will try to learn how to do write Mods myself.

The feature I need and will become my project is a Rating Vote/Poll: That enables members to "rate" some elements.

My site is a footbal forum so each match we can now only vote for a "MVP/man of the match" but we want to have users rate them out of 10 and tally average ratings.

Wish me luck! I am gonna need it :D

Is there any recommend tools/software for phpbb3x that helps with coding?

imkingdavid
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Hi I am ©®@©

Postby imkingdavid » 04 Apr 2010, 01:03

Welcome. :beer:

If you are not familiar with PHP to begin with, you should check out some guides by doing a quick Google search.

Once you've got that down, if you're not familiar with the phpBB code base/functions, you should check out the [url=http://wiki.phpbb.com/]phpBB Wiki[/url], [url=http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/code/]phpBB3 Sourcecode Documentation[/url], and glance through a few of the files themselves just to get a feel of what all is going on.

Then, once you're ready to go, find the files you need to edit, take a few minutes to figure out how exactly you are going to achieve what you need, and then do it. Make sure you try things on a test board, preferably on your localhost. That way, if you completely screw it up, you can just can it and start over. And of course, as you get along in development, you can ask questions here, on phpBB.com, or on any of the various phpBB development sites around the net. There are bound to be a few people out there who are willing to provide assistance. :)

Anyway, like I said, welcome to phpBB Modders, and good luck with your project!
phpBB.com Development Team Member | |
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.

bonelifer
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hi I am ©®@©

Postby bonelifer » 04 Apr 2010, 02:49

Also when you get comfortable with php and have read the phpBB coding guidelines, then check out various .com MODDB mods to see how they work. This will definitely make the guidelines more concrete in your mind and allow you to understand why they make you things a certain way.

Return to “Introductions”