fread() and file functions versus file_get_contents()?

Discuss the development of future releases of phpBB (phpBB 3.x minor releases) and MODing/Coding related questions.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

fread() and file functions versus file_get_contents()?

Postby Obsidian » 02 Jan 2009, 00:15

I'm in the middle of planning out the v1.1.x branch of phpBB-CRS, and I'd like to know whether the fopen()/fread()/fclose() function set is more efficient, faster, or simply better than using file_get_contents(), for stability purposes of loading a file's source into the repository viewer..

Additionally, would using the fopen()/fwrite()/fclose() set be faster for writing to a file than file_put_contents()? There's some additional features that I have planned out for 1.1.x that include the necessity to write to files, so knowing which is better for both get and put would be immensely helpful for the next line's development.

Mr. Bond
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: fread() and file functions versus file_get_contents()?

Postby Mr. Bond » 02 Jan 2009, 07:45

I'm not sure about file_get_contents() compared to fopen()/fread()/fclose() but using file_put_contents() is the exact same as calling fopen(), fwrite() and fclose(), file_put_contents() just requires PHP5.
• •

Return to “phpBB Development discussion”