Assembla, SVN and website/forum management

Here non-phpBB topics can be discussed.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bonelifer
Administrator
Administrator
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Assembla, SVN and website/forum management

Postby bonelifer » 27 Aug 2008, 17:41

Do any of you use SVN for your website/forum management? If so what sort of structure do you use. What are some best practices you subscribe too. Also post anything you think might be of interest on this topic.

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Re: Assembla, SVN and website/forum management

Postby igorw » 27 Aug 2008, 19:23

We do. :) As for structure, we've had it all in one folder until now, but i've just switched it over to branches/tags/trunk, in case we want to do some branching. It's great to keep track of everything like this, and validate changes before they go live. :)

- we're poor!

Mr. Bond

Postby Mr. Bond » 27 Aug 2008, 20:46

I've never used SVN for the whole site but for some custom things/MODs I've used it. :)
• •

bonelifer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bonelifer » 28 Aug 2008, 07:57

Well I've wiped the repository clean. It now contains Tags, Branch, Trunk. Trunk contains Forum and Website. Forum contains my forum's images folder. I figured it made no sense to upload my current forum files already edited, if my intention was to be able to revert changes in case of bad edits or to allow me to work on something and finish it later. Oh and I've learned a very good lesson. Make sure that you set the properties on your folder in TortoiseSVN to have "tsvn:logminsize". My initial test commit had no Comment, because I wasn't paying attention and left it blank. :oops: I set my minimum to a reasonable 5 characters. I'll obviously add more but didn't want it ridiculously large.

Does anyone know of any resources like scripts etc. I already know about svnbook.red-bean.com, very interesting and about TortoiseSVN's version.

Return to “General Discussion”