phpBB Secutiry

Discuss phpBB 3.0.x in general.
Forum rules
Please post any phpBB 3.1.x related topics in the forum.
Yuri Menzl Celaschi

phpBB Secutiry

Postby Yuri Menzl Celaschi » 19 Feb 2007, 01:00

Heya

The phpBB Security is security to use or CTracker is better?
MOD Team

Official Brazilian Support

MOD's: :: ::

Krank
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Krank » 19 Feb 2007, 01:15

there is a topic about Ctracker here :) [url=http://phpbbmodders.net/viewtopic.php?t=908]Click Here[/url]

phpBB3 Je t'adore: subSilver2 Based styles fan
proSilver, good, but too .... I don't know just too... :P

paul
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby paul » 19 Feb 2007, 09:21

Both are bad, and both give no more seurity.

Yuri Menzl Celaschi

Postby Yuri Menzl Celaschi » 19 Feb 2007, 14:01

Why Paul? Ialways heard that Ctracker adds many security things to your board.

The Ctracker 4.1.7 is unsecure, but i Think Ctracker 4.1.8 or Ctracker 5 corrects this vulnerability
MOD Team

Ganon_Master
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Ganon_Master » 19 Feb 2007, 17:17

I've used them both. They have some good security additions, but it's nothing that great.

I know this site that has this in the footer: "phpBB Security Has Blocked 9,806 Exploit Attempts." Click on the link and you'll get a list of all the blocked attempts. Most of them were Perl execution and DDoS attempts.

phpBB Security had one version that had an exploit, but that exploit was very common problem that a lot of other mods had.

But you should just stay up to date with the latest phpBB release.

Yuri Menzl Celaschi

Postby Yuri Menzl Celaschi » 20 Feb 2007, 21:17

Ganon....It's usefull install both MOD's, but I think that phpBB Security is discontinued =(...

Do you know which version is the exploit?
MOD Team

Ganon_Master
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Ganon_Master » 20 Feb 2007, 22:53

Yuri Menzl Celaschi

Postby Yuri Menzl Celaschi » 20 Feb 2007, 22:54

Will download Ganon...

Thx man
MOD Team

Krank
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Krank » 21 Feb 2007, 10:07

this is actually kinda confusing, is phpBB security good? is Ctracker good? which one is better? both are the same?

in case, that they are both not good, does that mean that the "phpBB Security Has Blocked XXX Exploit Attempts" is false? just a generated number? or did it really block the attacks?

DDoS Attempts, Perl execution and whatever ganon said, does Up-to-date phpBB stop or prevent them?
if it does, does it also do the same with a modded phpBB (mods installed), because to my knowledge many mods had holes and whatnot that made phpBB vulnerable even if updated to latest right?

no one is questioning phpBB, i guess everyone is concerned with a phpBB with MODs installed.

evaluate please.

phpBB Security 1.0.3: ( __ ) Very Good ( __ ) Good ( __ ) Bad ( __ ) Terrible (it'll make your board even more vulnerable).
Comments: _________

Ctracker 5.0.3: ( __ ) Very Good ( __ ) Good ( __ ) Bad ( __ ) Terrible (it'll make your board even more vulnerable).
Comments:_________

everyone want to make their board secure and safe, no doubt about that.

lol P.S use :checkyes: and :checkno: to fill in the blanks ( __ ) lol

femu

Postby femu » 21 Feb 2007, 12:45

Hi,

as I had installed both, it's easy to say. CTracker is a highly configurable package, which allows you take care of every single parameter. It takes care of even bad programmed MODs, where it gives you an error, which you can use to "repair" the dangerous files and make it secure.

But it's very complex and that's the reason, why I'm running phpBB Security now.

So I think it depends on the size and complexity of a forum. So in my case, I only run a small forum with less than 100 users. As I do regular backups, I might loose a day or so, but not more and it can be restored very fast. So it's in fact a descision from every single forum admin, what he/she likes to have.

Comparing both is like comparing a Mercedes with a Beetle :-)

So as in most cases: Use the one you think it fit to your forum. But use at least one of them!

Yuri Menzl Celaschi

Postby Yuri Menzl Celaschi » 21 Feb 2007, 13:59

femu,

I agree with you...But the last version of ctracker blocks all things that you think, =(. I used to use phpBB security 1 year ago, don't remember version, but helps me protect the board.

I'll try install phpBBSecurity, then I will ask help to test the security ;)
MOD Team

femu

Postby femu » 21 Feb 2007, 14:20

:-) I know. It's very hard to install and configure it, but in fact it shows you the holes in the board. But to be honest, I deinstalled a week ago too, as I was really busted abot every warning, although I was within the projet of v5 from nearly the beginning.

So for my board I think the phpBB Security ist enough.

As said above, CT is surely the better descition for bigger boards ;-)

Saeru
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Saeru » 21 Feb 2007, 21:49

I see no real reason why you should use any of these 'security' mods. phpbb IS very tightly secure, there has not been a single reported hacking of a forum that has an up to date installation.

"Naku ga yousuru ichidanto tsuyosa kyaku ga icchuu wo yusuru."[/size]

Krank

Postby Krank » 21 Feb 2007, 21:52

Saeru
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Saeru » 21 Feb 2007, 22:03

Most of the security mods out there only add to the issue. Some can make new holes in your forums security that you are unaware of that may allow hackers in. Theres a reason why most are not validated by the MODDB. Some of them are also old, and not made for the current version of phpbb. Thuss may too add holes that having up to date phpbb files would have patched.

I personally would never use a security mod. There is no need for one, the last few versions of PHPBB have had no reports on hacking that wasn't the fault of the user. (installing mods with security holes, not updating files properly, and such)

"Naku ga yousuru ichidanto tsuyosa kyaku ga icchuu wo yusuru."[/size]

Return to “phpBB 3.0.x "Olympus" discussion”