Word censoring

Discuss phpBB 3.0.x in general.
Forum rules
Please post any phpBB 3.1.x related topics in the forum.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Krank
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Word censoring

Postby Krank » 15 Oct 2007, 03:32

We all know the censoring system available in phpBB and all boards... but I found something, don't know if you guys know about it or not, but I think its redicioulous.

In phpBB3 the word censoring system has a huge and a weird "hole", like for instance, lets say that at phpBBModders the word "planet" is censored (weird choice huh? lol), anyways, if you just type planet, it'll be censored to whatever alternative you added, and if you use the quote tags and typed the word, it'll also be censored. But.. if you use code tage [CODE], the word won't be censored It'll just show.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of word censoring? I mean, If I want to spam, ... or anything with something that is censored in a phpBB3 board, I'll just use the code tags and get it done.

Shouldn't that be fixed? or was that done for a reason? ... I don't know, what yall think?

phpBB3 Je t'adore: subSilver2 Based styles fan
proSilver, good, but too .... I don't know just too... :P

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Re: Word censoring

Postby igorw » 15 Oct 2007, 09:55

I guess the reason for this is that if something is in code tags it a) doesn't get any bbcode processing, and b) should stay in the exact form it's in.
Now another thing is, if you have a post with a censored word, what you can do is quote the post, and you'll see the word in plain text in the textarea (i think it's still that way, at least). Well, you may think this is cheap, but now what if the word censors change? Anybody who quoted that post will have something else in the post, because the censored text is now in the database, and not the original one. So you could call this a "technical limitation". :P

- we're poor!

Krank

Postby Krank » 15 Oct 2007, 14:02

Yea, but the code tags in like 90% of all boards are used with links, what if you have a website censored? a spam / phishing... or whatever site that is known...

Like if I want google.com to be censored into ********** .... but for most, they'll add [CODE] tags... then how will I protect my members from sites like that? (not google of course, that was just an example :P )

That is actually the situation I'm facing, that there are several sites, don't know if you know about them, dn.vc... and there is no way to stop the spammers from making posts all over the forum using links from those sites, because the censor system is not working with the code tags.

I think thats a weak spot in phpBB.

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 15 Oct 2007, 14:07

Don't censor, ban them! ;)

- we're poor!

Krank

Postby Krank » 15 Oct 2007, 14:13

Not that easy lol, I do ban / delete the posts, staff help too... but its like a race ahaha....
But thats not the main point, was the censor system like that in phpBB2? I didn't really care / notice when I was using phpBB2...

Its weird, I mean in phpBB3 there is the "can disable word censor when posting" whats the point of that option for groups / users, when everyone can just ignore and find a way to post the censored word?

I think it should reported or something.

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 15 Oct 2007, 17:52

- we're poor!

Return to “phpBB 3.0.x "Olympus" discussion”