Splitting posts/topics to an extra db-table

Discuss phpBB 3.0.x in general.
Forum rules
Please post any phpBB 3.1.x related topics in the forum.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Peetra
Supporter
Supporter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Splitting posts/topics to an extra db-table

Postby Peetra » 26 Jan 2011, 13:25

Well, after a fatal db-crash a few weeks ago ppl on a forum I admin on have been thinking of splitting the topis into one(or more) table, we could call them prefix_posts_old and prefix_topics_old. Someone also mentioned that they migfht should be searchable.

Someone that done anything like this and should it really be necessary? Not even 500 000 posts on the forum I mean.

Peetra.

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Re: Splitting posts/topics to an extra db-table

Postby RMcGirr83 » 26 Jan 2011, 17:44

For what purpose...I mean why do that?

tumba25
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby tumba25 » 26 Jan 2011, 18:41

Totally unnecessary. I assume that you would still want them to be accessible through the forum. I'm trying hard to find any gain with doing that, but with no success. Depending on what file system you have, you can have a table size of at least 2TB and that is a lot more than 500k posts.

Peetra
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Peetra » 21 Feb 2011, 18:33

tumba25
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby tumba25 » 21 Feb 2011, 21:00

I'm sure the table crash or not being able to fix it has nothing to do with the table size.

You would need to do some heavy modifying to get that to work well with your forum. The disadvantages would probably be much greater than the advantages.

I think you seem to try to fix the wrong error, you should probably look at PEBKAC.

Peetra
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Peetra » 22 Feb 2011, 01:00

I am just the messenger here but I am sure the community slaps tumba25 for PEBKAC. :)

Return to “phpBB 3.0.x "Olympus" discussion”