Database Update Script (for MODs)

Discuss the development of future releases of phpBB (phpBB 3.x minor releases) and MODing/Coding related questions.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Noobarmy
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Database Update Script (for MODs)

Postby Noobarmy » 21 Jan 2007, 18:18

I was just looking for suggestions on how this should really be done. For one of my mods (xData) i wish to provide a database update script from teh phpBB2 xData Mod's info into the phpBB3 Custom profile field info. Now i know how i can actually do this, with the SQL stuff ect, what i was more curious about however was how the script should work.

should it need to have the user enter the database information for both boards (phpbb2 & phpbb3) then it just takes the data changes it ect. or should it include the phpbb3 config and then request teh phpbb2 database information.

should i use the phpbb3 or the phpbb2 files (the database ones to be more specefic), or make the script work with both.

also shoudl i setup language vars in the language files? also should i setup templates. i figured because it was jsut an upgrade fiile it would be ok to put everything together in one file so it can simply be uploaded then deleted afterward.

i think this would be useful for anyone who's going to provide a database update script for their mods to port from phpbb2 to phpbb3, or if you've already written a script to update how did you do it?

thanks,
anthony

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby igorw » 21 Jan 2007, 18:20

Go here and download a snapshot: http://area51.phpbb.com/cvs/

You have an upgrade script from phpBB2 to phpBB3. Edit that script to include your tables ;)

- we're poor!

poyntesm

Postby poyntesm » 21 Jan 2007, 20:29

Hmmm..been wondering this myself recently. If you edit the conversion script you can only help those as they convert not after they convert.

So I think you are best to have a upgrade script that is not part of the convertor...just my €0.02

I will be working on my upgrade script very soon as I am nearly finished converting my MOD and adding the features I plan for inital phpBB3 release.
My Mods :, ,
My Blog :

drathbun

Postby drathbun » 22 Jan 2007, 17:16

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 22 Jan 2007, 17:41

That's a good point :)

- we're poor!

Thoul

Postby Thoul » 23 May 2007, 22:40

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I wanted to ask: did anyone make an independent phpBB 2 -> phpBB 3 upgrade script for mods, as was discussed here? I've been thinking about providing such a script for one of my old mods (a friend/foe list). I can always make one myself, but I don't see any reason to reinvent it if someone already created one. :)

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 23 May 2007, 23:14

No problem,

i don't think anybody made a totally independent one, but i've included one in the [url=http://phpbbmodders.net/viewtopic.php?t=1692]Genders[/url] MOD, that is easy to change ;)

- we're poor!

Thoul

Postby Thoul » 23 May 2007, 23:17

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. :)

poyntesm

Re: Database Update Script (for MODs)

Postby poyntesm » 15 Aug 2007, 19:25

I have customised the phpBB convertor and built my own convetor so I can handle all garage systems to phpBB :)

However in doing that I think you could use the existin UCF to convert a MOD, I needed to do some pretty complex stuff so wanted 100% control but I believe the UCF could have handled a simple MOD conversion.

The convertor is actually a nightmare to understand though ... its still stands as the bit I understand the least.
My Mods :, ,
My Blog :

Return to “phpBB Development discussion”