What's involved in commissioning someone to write a mod?

Discuss the development of future releases of phpBB (phpBB 3.x minor releases) and MODing/Coding related questions.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
GraphicBass
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What's involved in commissioning someone to write a mod?

Postby GraphicBass » 07 Aug 2009, 02:18

Please excuse me if this is not the right place to post...

I've just installed phpBB version 3.0.4 on a client site and I'm finding some functionality missing that I'd like to have. It seems as though many mods listed in the mods database at phpBb.com are for older versions and do not work with 3.0.4.

One mod I'd like is for a private board, where users are invited from the ACP to join and given a code that permits to initially join a specific forum only. An email would be sent through ACP to the user with a registration link and the code. The code can be the same for all those invited to a specific group.

Hopefully, that makes sense. I've found a mod that seems (as described) to do this, but it's for version 2 and doesn't work.

So what's involved in commissioning a mod developer to write this mod for me, and is there any kind of standard price range? I'm an independent designer, so there's no big bucks sloshing around for development, but I'm willing to pay a fair price, and even release the rights back to the developer for independent sale, etc.

Thanks for your help.

gary

Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Re: What's involved in commissioning someone to write a mod?

Postby Obsidian » 07 Aug 2009, 02:36

GraphicBass

Postby GraphicBass » 11 Aug 2009, 06:20

Thanks for replying.

It would apply to the entire board. There are currently five subforums in three categories. Users would be invited to join one of the five subforums through an e-mail and specific code, or some other mechanism.

The board is for a therapist who offer group and private workshops. The goal would be for members to only be able to see/post the subforum for the workshop they are enrolled in.

I've managed to set the board up this way, but members have to register themselves, then wait for and administrator to approve their registration and move them into the proper user group. I'd like to remove that administration function, so that the admin only needs to issue the email to those he knows are enrolled in the workshop.

Writing that now, I suppose there doesn't need to be an ACP function to send the invites, just change the code (password) from time to time or for each session; invites could be sent from regular client. Approval based on the board receiving the proper code would be automatic.

gary

Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Obsidian » 11 Aug 2009, 12:09

From what I know, you may be able to find something useful within Highway_of_Life's ACP Add User MOD.

GraphicBass

Postby GraphicBass » 12 Aug 2009, 04:11

Thanks. I've actually checked out his MOD and it doesn't work on the current version of phpBB, and there doesn't seem to be any sign of updating in progress, which prompted my search that ended up here!

I'll keep looking. Thanks.

g

Lord Le Brand
Website Team
Website Team

Postby Lord Le Brand » 12 Aug 2009, 11:19

I've just checked that MOD's topic on phpbb.com, and it seems to work on phpBB 3.0.5, according to three replies on that matter. :)

Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Obsidian » 12 Aug 2009, 15:14

I myself run it on another site -- it works like a charm.

Also, I saw this and thought you'd be interested in this MOD: http://phpbbmodders.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3501

ToRmEnTeD

Postby ToRmEnTeD » 17 Jan 2010, 03:40

well hell that couldn't sound anymore like what he asked for lol
1000's Of Music Videos On Demand.
No user uploaded garbage like youtube!
Just all your favorite Music Videos!

Return to “phpBB Development discussion”